Nas build help and advice

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading most of my house with UniFi cameras, cat 7 and a new switch. I thought It was a good idea to add a nas to my setup at this time as well .

So far the only component I’m set on is getting three Seagate 6 TB IronWolf, the rest I don’t really mind. (These seem good for the price and reliable)

In a previous post (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1025826-building-nas-part-list-and-advice-needed/) I started to narrow down the options. I need this nas to be able to be a:

- Plex server (might have to transcode video files)

- UniFi video server for multiple POE cameras

- file server for Mac and Pc

- down the line if possible i would like to be able to use the server as a scratch disk to edit on fcpx off of it (not high priority, this might be a task for another server build)

So far I have been only considering Unraid (which I have heard is slow) and FreeNas but if there is another suggestion I can try that. I’m not great with command line stuff but I can learn if necessary prefer a GUI where I can. I wanted to try and keep it cheep so excluding the drives I want it to come to no more then £400 but £200 would be best if posable. I don’t mind used equipment as long as it would be somewhat reliable.

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, florianerb said:

So far the only component I’m set on is getting three Seagate 6 TB IronWolf, the rest I don’t really mind. (These seem good for the price and reliable)

Can you get those 8tb external drives? there a good amount cheaper and should be about as reliable. https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548637515&sr=1-5&keywords=8tb+external

11 minutes ago, florianerb said:

down the line if possible i would like to be able to use the server as a scratch disk to edit on fcpx off of it (not high priority, this might be a task for another server build)

Your gonna want 10g for this.

12 minutes ago, florianerb said:

So far I have been only considering Unraid (which I have heard is slow) and FreeNas but if there is another suggestion I can try that. I’m not great with command line stuff but I can learn if necessary prefer a GUI where I can. I wanted to try and keep it cheep so excluding the drives I want it to come to no more then £400 but £200 would be best if posable. I don’t mind used equipment as long as it would be somewhat reliable.

Look at proxmox and run everything in a vm here. 

Are you set on diy? Id also look at a synology nas, esp if you havent done much server stuff before, price can be simmilar, and there more plug and play. Look at this guy. https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS918-Diskless/dp/B075N1Z9LT

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

i'm really worried about drive failure i play i run in a raid one or z1 something where i can have one drive fail and not lose dater so for that i don't mind paying the extra amount. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you set on diy? Id also look at a synology nas, esp if you havent done much server stuff before, price can be simmilar, and there more plug and play. Look at this guy. https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS918-Diskless/dp/B075N1Z9LT

its quite expensive + i'm doing this as a bit of a project as well to learn all about servers and also want something that can grow and adapted with my needs.

I'd get this:

btw its the only flex atx psu with more than 4 sata cables, and the case comes with 4 hot swap bays so its expensive.

got a i3-8100, as the pentiums are only 10$ less, you can replace with celeron if you want to save some $$

16gb of ram for ramcaching, I'd recc 8 or even up to 12gb of ram for a cache

IGPU is fine, 

cheap m.2 ssd, I'd recc you devote 64gb (or more) as a large(ish) buffer cache for writes.

You can use the expansion slot for a 10GBe nic. i put one in the list

you can save ~150$ by using a non-hot swap case and therefore a different PSU,

save 40$ with only 8gb of ram,

save 60$ by going with celeron,

save 90$ by not using a NIC.

49 minutes ago, florianerb said:

its quite expensive + i'm doing this as a bit of a project as well to learn all about servers and also want something that can grow and adapted with my needs.

Then id look at used servers, How about something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R510-Server-E5620-2-x-2-4GHz-Quad-Core-12GB-12-X-Trays-NO-HDD/283340237402?hash=item41f864ea5a:g:WE0AAOSw9xJcPisI:rk:9:pf:0

50 minutes ago, florianerb said:

i'm really worried about drive failure i play i run in a raid one or z1 something where i can have one drive fail and not lose dater so for that i don't mind paying the extra amount. 

Also make sure to have a backup, raid isn't a backup.

You can still run those drives in raid, you take them out of the enclosures and put them in your case of choice, there just cheaper bigger drives.

23 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-27 20:27 EST-0500

this build is along the lines I think I want to go with but is still quite expensive. It works out to about £524.21. 

I thought this might be a better option 

With buying the cpu on ebay for about £70 ish (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i5-6400-2-7GHz-Base-3-3GHz-Turbo-Quad-Core-Processor-with-cooler/173763510572?epid=219516766&hash=item28751cc12c:g:gU4AAOSw~ltcTQGV:rk:1:pf:1)

what do you think? will this work for everything I need it to?

On 1/28/2019 at 1:08 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Look at proxmox and run everything in a vm here. 

I like the look of the software but wondered if you had a idea of how I would set up each example ie:

- Plex server (might have to transcode video files)     =    (seems to run on almost everything)

- UniFi video server for multiple POE cameras           =    (which can run on windows 7/8/10, Ubuntu 16.04/14.04 and Debian 7)

- file server for Mac and Pc                                        =    (freenas)

so it would be three different virtual mashes so each one has a free space to run?

1 minute ago, florianerb said:

this build is along the lines I think I want to go with but is still quite expensive. It works out to about £524.21. 

I thought this might be a better option 

With buying the cpu on ebay for about £70 ish (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i5-6400-2-7GHz-Base-3-3GHz-Turbo-Quad-Core-Processor-with-cooler/173763510572?epid=219516766&hash=item28751cc12c:g:gU4AAOSw~ltcTQGV:rk:1:pf:1)

what do you think? will this work for everything I need it to?

I like the look of the software but wondered if you had a idea of how I would set up each example ie:

- Plex server (might have to transcode video files)     =    (seems to run on almost everything)

- UniFi video server for multiple POE cameras           =    (which can run on windows 7/8/10, Ubuntu 16.04/14.04 and Debian 7)

- file server for Mac and Pc                                        =    (freenas)

so it would be three different virtual mashes so each one has a free space to run?

With that few tasks, you can probably get away without using vms.

If you want you this cheaper id ged a used system.

How about a used desktop liek this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-7020-Quad-i5-4590-3-30Ghz-8GB-500GB-Windows-8-1-Pro/113594486135?hash=item1a72c24d77:g:fkgAAOSwgEhbfXVq:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Then put your drives in and install your os and call it a day. Its about as fast as the system above, and about half the price.

15 hours ago, florianerb said:

-snip-

that looks great!

although look around on ebay for deals, mabye you can find a i5-6500/6600/7400/7500/7600 for the same price.

also, becuase it is a mATX mobo, I'd get a case like the fractal design Node 804/304, as they have lots of 3.5 inch HDD bays, and its smaller, so its more easily moved.