Tool Thread!

Lord Mirdalan
6 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Not so much an individual tool but the box I keep them all in.  Sometimes being a mechanic for a living costs a bunch of cash.

2 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Man ain’t that the truth. I like 17 grand into my purple snap on stuff

At least you guys make coin from them,  Spare a thought for us enthusiasts who will never get back a cent on most of the tools we buy (hence why we buy shit like ryobi and homelite 🤣).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

At least you guys make coin from them,  Spare a thought for us enthusiasts who will never get back a cent on most of the tools we buy (hence why we buy shit like ryobi and homelite 🤣).

That’s fair, if I didn’t need tools for a living I’d have like 1000 bucks worth of tools not 40000 worth. And too many of them I use like 2-3 times a year

34 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

And too many of them I use like 2-3 times a year

That's the bit that hurts the most isn't it.  If you use it every day you look at the price and just know it was worth it and wouldn't dream of buying cheaper.   But those once a decade jobs, man that requires some hard justification and wincing if you buy the good stuff.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, James Evens said:

Repair or return?

4µm repeatability linear module with 20mm pitch.

construction: 2 "stacked linear rails" and ball screw.

Spindel good. Linear rails okay ish and smells like it was lubricated before storage.

Problem: dirt somewhere

Can I clean it without dissembling it?  Reassembling all of this would take some time.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61a

It's looks very second hand, do you have the option of return?  Are they rare finds for the price you are able to pay? if so and the only issue is dirt then I would clean it.  Do not use WD40 for lubrication, it should be fine for cleaning, in fact there are no plastic parts it would be the better choice.  What machine is this for?

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to finally get this installed this weekend:

Resized-20200621-120340.jpg

Resized-20200621-120510.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

14 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Managed to finally get this installed this weekend:

Resized-20200621-120340.jpg

Resized-20200621-120510.jpg

Nice, I've heard those things are very handy,  Part of me cringes though at the thought of getting bits stuck when closing it or falling in the hole while working around it.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Nice, I've heard those things are very handy,  Part of me cringes though at the thought of getting bits stuck when closing it or falling in the hole while working around it.

I wont lie, having to retrieve dropped tools and parts from the pit has me a bit uneasy.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I wont lie, having to retrieve dropped tools and parts from the pit has me a bit uneasy.

Get on of those grabby hand extender things. 

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Get on of those grabby hand extender things. 

Yup