MSI GE75 Raider is best laptop? Change my mind!

My current laptop is 4 years old now, so I am looking to buy a new one soon. I've looked at new RTX models to be released in a few days and concluded that the MSI GE75 Raider 8SG (with RTX 2080) is the best one out there.

Why?

It is basically a 17" laptop in 15" form factor, has decent cpu and best laptop graphics card, and all that at or below $3k USD price range.

While I plan to use it plugged in, battery life is not too important to me. Yet it is important that it is actually a laptop, so that it is mobile.

I know that currently the ray tracing aspect is not used in many games, however this is supposed to be my laptop for at least the next 4 years, so getting RTX now having future in mind.

I do some video recording and video processing, so a quick cpu and gpu is actually utilized beyond gaming. Additionally, I dabble in machine learning applications and ran into GPU memory shortage before, on my older laptop, which is also why I am interested in the best mobile gpu right now.

As you probably can tell, I'm not an expert in laptop hardware and my opinion may be flawed. Therefore, having the above perspective concerning the features of the laptop in mind, would you say that I'm overlooking some subtleties and there actually is a better choice out there? Change my mind if there is! :)

It is indeed one of the better laptops out there. As you mentioned, it's a 17 inch laptop but not bulky making it very portable and with decent battery life.

See if you can order it from HIDevolution as they offer their thermal upgrades like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to mitigate any heat issues in addition to rigorous testing and quality checks so you get a laptop that works 100% out of the box. In addition, you get their life time tech support for free which is way better than MSI's tech support which I personally find horrendous.

This is the one I'm talking about: MSI GE75 Raider

The models which say "out of stock" are the RTX models which you can pre-order

PS: Have you checked out the MSI GS75 as well? MSI GS75 Stealth

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

It is indeed one of the better laptops out there. As you mentioned, it's a 17 inch laptop but not bulky making it very portable and with decent battery life.

See if you can order it from HIDevolution as they offer their thermal upgrades like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to mitigate any heat issues in addition to rigorous testing and quality checks so you get a laptop that works 100% out of the box. In addition, you get their life time tech support for free which is way better than MSI's tech support which I personally find horrendous.

Thanks for the link! But I've heard some horror stories about HIDevolution customer service.

I'll be browsing the official "where to buy" page https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE75-Raider-8SX/wheretobuy once the sales go live, and looking up the retailer reviews before I decide on the source.

10 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Thanks for the link! But I've heard some horror stories about HIDevolution customer service.

I'll be browsing the official "where to buy" page https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE75-Raider-8SX/wheretobuy once the sales go live, and looking up the retailer reviews before I decide on the source.

Strange, over at the Notebook review forum they have a great reputation, just a few threads to look at for example:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

HIDevolution's Warranty!

HIDevolution - a benchmark for excellent customer service

MSI GT73VR 7RE TITAN-427 Ordering from HIDevolution Feedback

Donald at HIDEvolution

Custom AW17R5 from Ted @ HIDEvolution

Superb purchasing experience from HIDevolution

HIDEvolution Order Experience.

Anyway, regardless of where you get it from, it's a great laptop

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, Ultra Male said:

PS: Have you checked out the MSI GS75 as well? MSI GS75 Stealth

Do you happen to know if they make an effort to permanently cover up (insulate) the surrounding electronics when applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut? Since it is electrically conducting, this seems like a safety-hazard if splattered out from between CPU and cooling dock upon accidental drop of the laptop or prolonged non-horizontal carrying motion...

Wait for reviews first before buying RTX laptops. GE75 is a bit overpriced IMO

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Wait for reviews first before buying RTX laptops. GE75 is a bit overpriced IMO

Thanks for the suggestion! By overpriced, you mean there are other brands offering same specs cheaper? Could you point out which?

Just on price alone this is the only full 2080 RTX model that fits into my current budget.  

Once reviews and benches come out for everything i’ll see if i need to stretch budget. But currently, on price alone, this is the unit that is peaking my interest the most. 

Hopefully over the next few weeks we can all get a far clearer picture on these RTX models!!  

41 minutes ago, trueblue1872 said:

Just on price alone this is the only full 2080 RTX model that fits into my current budget.  

Once reviews and benches come out for everything i’ll see if i need to stretch budget. But currently, on price alone, this is the unit that is peaking my interest the most. 

Hopefully over the next few weeks we can all get a far clearer picture on these RTX models!!  

Sounds like a good plan!

Which sources do you plan to get reviews from? Do you know which reviewers will be particularly fast?

8 hours ago, Kagaratsch said:

Do you happen to know if they make an effort to permanently cover up (insulate) the surrounding electronics when applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut? Since it is electrically conducting, this seems like a safety-hazard if splattered out from between CPU and cooling dock upon accidental drop of the laptop or prolonged non-horizontal carrying motion...

That was exactly my concern when I asked them this as I also have Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on my CPU done by them. They told me not to worry as they use their proprietary method to insulate the CPU surrounding to avoid spillage and also assured me that any mod done by them is covered under warranty. I move my laptop around a lot and hae had it for 8 months, still working perfectly with superb temps like the day I got it

5 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Sounds like a good plan!

Which sources do you plan to get reviews from? Do you know which reviewers will be particularly fast?

I like reviews by LinusTech and Jarrod's Tech and Hardware Canucks

1 hour ago, Kagaratsch said:

Thanks for the suggestion! By overpriced, you mean there are other brands offering same specs cheaper? Could you point out which?

Not brands, models. For example, you can get GE73 with 1070 instead of GE75 with 1060 for about the same price, at least in Malaysia

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Not brands, models. For example, you can get GE73 with 1070 instead of GE75 with 1060 for about the same price, at least in Malaysia

Ahha, I see! Very interesting. Do you think they will have GE73s with RTX2080?

32 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

reviews by LinusTech

Their laptop reviews suck IMO

For YT channel, Mobiletechreview, Bob of all trades, Ownordisown are quite good, especially BOAT

For articles, Notebookcheck and Ultrabookreview. Sometimes LaptopMedia. LaptopMag sucks

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Kagaratsch said:

Ahha, I see! Very interesting. Do you think they will have GE73s with RTX2080?

Should have, but I doubt the cooling can handle it. Wait for reviews first

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Their laptop reviews suck IMO

For YT channel, Mobiletechreview, Bob of all trades, Ownordisown are quite good, especially BOAT

For articles, Notebookcheck and Ultrabookreview. Sometimes LaptopMedia. LaptopMag sucks

Thanks for reminding me about Bob of all trades I was trying to remember the name. Yeah I like his reviews too. Very honest

32 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Very honest

And very detailed, especially thermal part which many big names YT channel cannot do

Desktop specs:

Spoiler