Is RAID 0 worth it for me?

Liminal Doughnut

In my PC I currently have a 240 gb Intel 535 series SSD as my boot drive and I have another 480 gb 535 series SSD available to me. My question is two part: A) is it possible to partition the 480 gb drive and RAID 0 one of the partitions with the other drive and B) would I gain any actual noticeable performance from doing this? I only use my SSD for the OS and all my programs except games. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Since the drives are both SSD, there is no real reason to run them in a Raid 0 setup.  Use the smaller of the two drives for your operating system and needed software while using the larger of the two drives for things such as your games along with backup files (documents, pictures, etc.) from the smaller drive.

RAID 0 for the Win.  I only use Intel SSD drives and been running RAID 0 forever.  You'll notice a major improvement

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

Abso-fucking-lutely not. What are you trying to achieve? Unless you NEED super fast storage (in which case you'd already have NVME or optane drives), RAID-0 is always stupid. 

RAID-0 is never necessary, especially with optane out there now-a-day.

If you want faster speeds, buy an NVME drive.

If you REALLY.... REALLY want raid 0, run Raid 1-0. At least then you have a backup.

Before NVME was a thing.

I loved it. Games with many tiny files... Make the most from it..

But Battlefields game file system uses large files and sees less benefit.

A good example is World of Tanks or Warships.

Thousands of. dds texture files being called for loading. Much faster than SSD, but it's only 1 good example.

Wouldn't say its worth it..

Even though my Raid0 is still active and has been for years.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've never had an issue with RAID 0 and never save anything to my C drive in last 20 years either. If something crashes, I have an image ready and back up in 12 minutes.

My next system build will have this.  This blows away current NVME and won't need RAID anymore.  RAID is old

World's First PCIe 4.0 SSD Demo, Phison E16 Hits 4GB/s

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-pcie-4.0-phison-nvme,38418.html

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |