Deepcool Castle 360 or NZXT Kraken X72?

boey

So I want to buy a 360mm AIO for mainly aesthetics. I currently have a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and it has a max cooler height of 155mm, which means the best air cooler I can get is the Cryorig H7 Plus. I plan to upgrade my CPU to 8/12 core Ryzen by the end of the year and maybe OC it as well.

I was initially looking at the NZXT Kraken X72 as I really liked the infinity mirror but after Deepcool claimed their Castle 360 had extra redundancies to prevent leakage, I’m unsure as to whether to get Deepcool’s Castle 360 or the Kraken X72. 

I will be replacing the fans on the radiator with Corsair LL120s.

wait till Castle gets proper 3rd party reviews then? Not sure about X72's reliability, but the 280mm brother X62 has higher failure rates than other Asetek designs.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

wait till Castle gets proper 3rd party reviews then? Not sure about X72's reliability, but the 280mm brother X62 has higher failure rates than other Asetek designs.

Really? Didn’t know that. I think the X72 had one of the best cooling amongst 360mm AIOs, not sure about failure rate. May be worth to mention that the Castle 280 is about $45 USD cheaper than the X62, and the Castle 240 is $60USD cheaper than the X52.

I've been in the market recently for a 360mm AIO and after considering all the options, I decided on going with the Deepcool Castle 360. 

While I really like the aesthetic of the NZXT Kraken coolers, I refuse to use them for one reason — the CAM software provided by NZXT for controlling RGB and fan speeds is quite literally malware.

Just by using CAM, you opt-in for NZXT's data collection. Every minute, data is uploaded from your PC to NZXT's servers and downloaded to your PC — so much so that users report gigabytes of data uploaded a month. Now, NZXT isn't selling this data they say, however they do use it ambiguously to further their products. Any person who even slightly values their privacy would not find this acceptable. Even if they reduced the amount of data uploaded/downloaded, the user still has no idea what the contents are, making it very questionable.

Now, there is a silver lining. NZXT is in the process of re-working CAM and the next version should have a way to disable these metrics, although it will cause you to lose some features.

There are definitely other 360mm AIOs that I considered, but this was my thought process for them:

1. Asus ROG Ryujin 360 - One of my top picks as I have a Asus ROG Ryuo 120 in my system already, but the aesthetic on this one is a bit bulky imo and I don't need the added noise or cooling from the VRM fan.

2. Corsair H150i Pro - Slightly older CPU cooler, the CPU block doesn't look quite as good.

3. Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition - Great price for a 360mm AIO, but the CPU block doesn't look great with it being completely branding.

4. Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB - Again, a decently priced 360mm AIO ruined by branding.

5. Deepcool Captain 360EX - Significant reports of this cooler breaking and leaking.

6. Alphacool Eisbaer 360/420 - Was tempted to go with this one due to the expandability, but the aesthetic isn't great and there are a decent amount of reports about leaking.

All in all, I settled on the Deepcool Castle 360 for the following reasons:

1. Great aesthetic, I love the double pane design with the cylindrical block and the fact that it's compatible with both Asus Aura and Gigabyte RGB Fusion (not to mention MSI or ASRock's RGB software).

2. Deepcool has a good reputation when it comes to damaged components; they're known for covering the cost of damaged components due to product faults in the past.

3. The cooling should be practically the same as any other 360mm AIO as it's just another pump in block design.

The Fractal Design Celsius S36 is a simple and inexpensive 5th gen Asetek cooler.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:46 AM, LukeSavenije said:

a nhd15 might fit tho... if you lower the fans

just a suggestion

It wouldn't fit. The NH-D15 heatsink is 160mm tall. 

There are better alternatives to the H7 Plus that would fit though like the Mugen 5 and Fuma Rev. B.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are better alternatives to the H7 Plus that would fit though like the Mugen 5 and Fuma Rev. B.

yep, looked at the wrong part of the spreadsheet, my bad

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm planning to buy most of my parts in person at my local shops for convenience, and so I don't have to deal with free2 week shipping on amazon prime(or paying for 4 day shipping). Those shops don't have the Mugen 5 and Fuma Rev. B. I'll buy it online if I find that it's a significant upgrade and I pretty much need to get it. Like I'm gonna get cablemod cables from amazon, as I hate the stock PSU cables and there aren't other options at my local shops(only sell cheap Phanteks and Silverstone sleeved cables which are either ugly or poorly made)

9 hours ago, nick name said:

The Fractal Design Celsius S36 is a simple and inexpensive 5th gen Asetek cooler.  

I'm not really looking for inexpensive, price isn't too much of an issue but I'd rather not go for something as expensive as an ROG Ryujin 360. Besides I'm mostly buying this AIO for aesthetics, and I've narrowed down my choice to either the NZXT Kraken X72 or the Deepcool Castle 360 purely for the look of the CPU block. If there are any other 360mm AIOs which look similar I'm all ears.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:40 PM, CrashGamingTTV said:

I've been in the market recently for a 360mm AIO and after considering all the options, I decided on going with the Deepcool Castle 360. 

While I really like the aesthetic of the NZXT Kraken coolers, I refuse to use them for one reason — the CAM software provided by NZXT for controlling RGB and fan speeds is quite literally malware.

Just by using CAM, you opt-in for NZXT's data collection. Every minute, data is uploaded from your PC to NZXT's servers and downloaded to your PC — so much so that users report gigabytes of data uploaded a month. Now, NZXT isn't selling this data they say, however they do use it ambiguously to further their products. Any person who even slightly values their privacy would not find this acceptable. Even if they reduced the amount of data uploaded/downloaded, the user still has no idea what the contents are, making it very questionable.

Now, there is a silver lining. NZXT is in the process of re-working CAM and the next version should have a way to disable these metrics, although it will cause you to lose some features.

There are definitely other 360mm AIOs that I considered, but this was my thought process for them:

1. Asus ROG Ryujin 360 - One of my top picks as I have a Asus ROG Ryuo 120 in my system already, but the aesthetic on this one is a bit bulky imo and I don't need the added noise or cooling from the VRM fan.

2. Corsair H150i Pro - Slightly older CPU cooler, the CPU block doesn't look quite as good.

3. Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition - Great price for a 360mm AIO, but the CPU block doesn't look great with it being completely branding.

4. Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB - Again, a decently priced 360mm AIO ruined by branding.

5. Deepcool Captain 360EX - Significant reports of this cooler breaking and leaking.

6. Alphacool Eisbaer 360/420 - Was tempted to go with this one due to the expandability, but the aesthetic isn't great and there are a decent amount of reports about leaking.

All in all, I settled on the Deepcool Castle 360 for the following reasons:

1. Great aesthetic, I love the double pane design with the cylindrical block and the fact that it's compatible with both Asus Aura and Gigabyte RGB Fusion (not to mention MSI or ASRock's RGB software).

2. Deepcool has a good reputation when it comes to damaged components; they're known for covering the cost of damaged components due to product faults in the past.

3. The cooling should be practically the same as any other 360mm AIO as it's just another pump in block design.

Do you know when the Castle 360 is out?