Gtx 650ti compatible?

Achilles

Hi guys,

Im buying a HP prodesk 600 G1 SFF ( i5 4590, 4gb ddr3, 500 gb hdd, win10, onboard HD 4600 graphic) used and I was wondering if I can replace the gpu with a 650ti or G 1030 without running into issues? I read some people have issues with power or gpu’s not working. I sadly have a very basic knowledge of hardware so maybe you guys could help me.

Thanks!

Buy another 4GB ram second hand. 

A new PSU and then an hd 7950/hd 7970

Yes you can use the GPUs you mentioned. But i would use either if you are on a budget trying to get the mpst for your money

Either of those likely will be just fine. Just make sure with the 650ti that the Power supply has the required power plug, likely a 6 pin if I had to guess. The GT1030 likely doesnt require any extra power beyond the 75w from the PCIE slot. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Buy another 4GB ram second hand. 

Yes you can use the GPUs you mentioned. But i would use either if you are on a budget trying to get the mpst for your money

Will get the extra ram for sure.  Do you think an hd7950 or 70 would handle minecraft at 100+ fps combined with this cpu?

i'd reccomend a low profile gtx 1050 for this. low power, and is better than a 1030. that i5 wont know what to do with itself with a 1030.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

my 7970 died yesterday. stop making me sad. an rx 580 for a little over a 100 would be better if you want to get a new psu and case.

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Either of those likely will be just fine. Just make sure with the 650ti that the Power supply has the required power plug, likely a 6 pin if I had to guess. The GT1030 likely doesnt require any extra power beyond the 75w from the PCIE slot. 

So if it doesn’t I should get a new psu? Which ones should I be looking at?

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Will get the extra ram for sure.  Do you think an hd7950 or 70 would handle minecraft at 100+ fps combined with this cpu?

7970 is still a beast, i can vouch for that personally. minecraft with ultra shaders and itll do 100+ fps

argh stop replying so fast. a cheap refurb cx 650 for 50 dollars will do

If really only trying to run minecraft and do other basic pc tasks so I don’t need a really powerfull gpu for AAA games but i do wanna run minecraft at atleast 100 fps

1 minute ago, Uberdude said:

7970 is still a beast, i can vouch for that personally. minecraft with ultra shaders and itll do 100+ fps

argh stop replying so fast. a cheap refurb cx 650 for 50 dollars will do

if only minecraft then get a 1030 and call it a day.

Just now, Uberdude said:

my 7970 died yesterday. stop making me sad. an rx 580 for a little over a 100 would be better if you want to get a new psu and case.

He is running on a budget so a mining rx 580 isnt really the best choice. 

1 minute ago, Uberdude said:

i'd reccomend a low profile gtx 1050 for this

Not great valuem you can get better and buy a PSU at the same time

Yeah.

If you get a cx550 (2017) PSU from Corsair you can probably spring for an ~80$ R9 290x.

If really only trying to run minecraft and do other basic pc tasks so I don’t need a really powerfull gpu for AAA games but i do wanna run minecraft at atleast 100 fps

If your vudget allows i would get a new PSU and the hd 7970 if possible. You get more for your money

Hmm so I found a 7970 for 50$ but im not sure if it would fit in the case :/ it looks kind of big lol 

Hmm so I found a 7970 for 50$ but im not sure if it would fit in the case :/ it looks kind of big lol 

yeah is why i reccomend the low profile 1050. if the motherboard is standard sized, you can get a new case for 20 bucks. youll also want to get soem conductonaut for the 7970. its comparable to the gtx 480 in terms of cooking power

Be careful. That prebuilt cheap computers has really crappy motherboards. Your computer may work or not. It's not about compatibility or even PSU power. Is more like quality of motherboard (voltage on PCI-E, quality of circuits etc). Many people buy that HP/Lenovo/Dell crap because if you compare CPU, ram and price only - it seems to be a very good deal. Until you realized that you cannot really expand your computer because every element (PSU included) is selected for default config with low margin.

17 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Is the desktop a thin desktop or a regular one. If its thin then it wont work. If its a regular deskop it will work just fine 95% of the time. Do you have pics?

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Is the desktop a thin desktop or a regular one. If its thin then it wont work. If its a regular deskop it will work just fine 95% of the time. Do you have pics?

842A1E08-96B3-47C9-ABD4-CEC0725EA288.png

23FB575B-3D20-4FAE-821C-73D6A88CFBF9.png

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Be careful. That prebuilt cheap computers has really crappy motherboards. Your computer may work or not. It's not about compatibility or even PSU power. Is more like quality of motherboard (voltage on PCI-E, quality of circuits etc). Many people buy that HP/Lenovo/Dell crap because if you compare CPU, ram and price only - it seems to be a very good deal. Until you realized that you cannot really expand your computer because every element (PSU included) is selected for default config with low margin.

Mhm, I really only want a gpu upgrade to play minecraft and really nothing else. Do you think its worth it? Would a gtx 650ti actually work?

57 minutes ago, Achilles said:

This guy was able to slab in a 1050ti 

do you have rear pictures? it looks like fullsize. so a hd 7970 will fit

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

do you have rear pictures? it looks like fullsize. so a hd 7970 will fit

No i dont but im pretty sure it is fullsize, my only concern now is if the powersupply will be enough. According to the seller it has a 280w platinum psu

10 minutes ago, Achilles said:

No i dont but im pretty sure it is fullsize, my only concern now is if the powersupply will be enough. According to the seller it has a 280w platinum psu

And I might be getting a 1050ti

Ill be making a new thread because its not relevant anymore to the original question

12 minutes ago, Achilles said:

And I might be getting a 1050ti

the 1050ti is super overpriced atm. you can get a 30% faster rx 570 for less. 

23 minutes ago, Achilles said:

i would get a new PSU and a used graphics card

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

the 1050ti is super overpriced atm. you can get a 30% faster rx 570 for less. 

i would get a new PSU and a used graphics card

Alright, thanks !