FPS Drops/Stuttering Clevo laptop

folie
Go to solution Solved by folie,

I have been playing around with options and I think I might have found something very interesting. I have installed a newer version of an app called "Control Center"( controls things like gpu fan speed and laptop power profiles), because while browsing the new Clevo lineup with i9 9900k(was particularly interested in how this ****box could ever handle that when my poor i5 is hitting 70-80C sometimes) and found some people talking about a certain version throttling the gpu, . After updating it my solo fps in PUBG have improved a lot, the gpu usage went up and there isn't that much fluctuation in fps compared to before.

I will have to test that with discord app on though in squad play, where the issue was very easy to notice.

I will look towards upgrading to an i7 6700 or 7700, non K, mainly cuz of the lower tdp.

Thanks for the tip.

Marking this green for other people to see if they run into the same issue.

I own a Clevo p775-DM3-G, 26 months old, out of warranty at this point.

Specs: i5 6600 | GTX 1070 (not max-q as far as I know) | 16 gb DDR4@2400 mhz | Kingston uv500 480gb

Monitor: Asus PG278QR ( 1440p )

Latest Nvidia Driver, pretty sure the bios is up to the last version as well.

Problem: Many games stutter and show massive FPS drops, specifically PUBG, Ring of Elysium, Battlefield 1(the ones I mostly play). Usually the CPU is running at 96-100% while the gpu is inbetween 35-60%. I usually get better stability in PUBG if I limit the fps to ~75-80, but there are still FPS drops(even down to 30) and the gameplay always feels sluggish.

Is this a problem with the cpu bottlenecking my gpu? The drops seem a bit extreme even if that were the case, but this laptop being the big pile of garbage it is, I wouldn't rule out anything, maybe MBO or GPU are faulty..?

PS: I have tried different graphics settings, mostly running on the lowest and usually there is no improvement no matter how low I go.

I am not that good with tech stuff, so if you guys have any ideas as to what could be wrong with it, I'd like to know your ideas. I was thinking of buying a PC, but if I can fix this and drag it around until it dies, that'd be ok too.

Definitely your CPU, I would also check if you have dual-channel memory or single-channel memory. If that is one of the upgradable Clevo's you could slot in a 6700 and another stick of RAM if you're running single-channel and the performance should be significantly better.

@schwellmo92 It is dual-channel , I have 2x8 GB sticks.

Also, yes, it is the upgradable kind of clevo laptop. I can upgrade the cpu to a 6700 or I believe even a 7700 on the latest bios version. I am just unsure whether the problem is a bottleneck or defective components, I wouldn't want to throw away 300 pounds on a cpu only to have the laptop not work. The temperatures are quite horrid as well. The can easily reach and surpass 80's under full load.

I have had issues with the laptop for the longest time, at one point it fried itself, and it had maybe the gpu replaced, so they've said but who knows, it's not the most trustworthy company as their support proved.

It is definitely a CPU bottleneck, you yourself said the CPU usage is constantly at 100% and that's what I would expect with a quad core i5, when the game has a spike in CPU intensive work you have no headroom and your frame rate will sharply drop as a result.

I have been playing around with options and I think I might have found something very interesting. I have installed a newer version of an app called "Control Center"( controls things like gpu fan speed and laptop power profiles), because while browsing the new Clevo lineup with i9 9900k(was particularly interested in how this ****box could ever handle that when my poor i5 is hitting 70-80C sometimes) and found some people talking about a certain version throttling the gpu, . After updating it my solo fps in PUBG have improved a lot, the gpu usage went up and there isn't that much fluctuation in fps compared to before.

I will have to test that with discord app on though in squad play, where the issue was very easy to notice.

I will look towards upgrading to an i7 6700 or 7700, non K, mainly cuz of the lower tdp.

Thanks for the tip.

Marking this green for other people to see if they run into the same issue.