Informative speech for school (about PC parts)

bigmouthbob1

so we are doing an informative speech for school and I chose PC parts as a topic. I only did CPU, GPU, Storage, and RAM. If any of you would like to go through it and fact check it, I would be so grateful. Also, if you have any information that you think should be there don't be afraid to tell me. Thanks in advance! :) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gOZql3Rq9QcPosgjnI8H8C7u5ufs3Q6MEtT0h6u4mh0/edit?usp=sharing

How long does the speech last?

Calling Ryzen versus Intel s the first thing I find wrong.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

That’s such a short speech

i remember I had to give a speech on computers, my teacher made me summarize the last 10 minutes because I took 42 minutes talking

?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

what subject is this for?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what subject is this for?

english, my teacher said we could choose any subject

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

How long does the speech last?

Calling Ryzen versus Intel s the first thing I find wrong.

ok, so what should I put as a place holder

1 hour ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

That’s such a short speech

i remember I had to give a speech on computers, my teacher made me summarize the last 10 minutes because I took 42 minutes talking

?

i would make it longer, but she takes off 5 points for every minute you go over the limit.

2 hours ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

AMD vs Intel is a better comparison.

And if you are comparing product names it would be Core vs Ryzen

Because its Intel Core i5 and AMD uses the Product Name: Ryzen 5 

Hence Intel core and AMD Ryzen being the better way to go about ir. 

imma pick apart things cuz im bored

The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is used to make your graphics look better

a Graphics card (i am assuming you were reffering to this) usually allows for it to render more complex graphics that end up looking better. its not inherently better looking. 

There are 7 kinds of GDDR, GDDR SDRAM, GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR4, GDDR5, GDDR5x, GDDR6.

no mention of HBM which is a type of Ram. 

and before anyone asks, yes im nitpicking

The SLI and CrossFire make it so you can have multiple graphics cards in your system at once.

no, it allows them to cooperate and "act" as a single unit and share data. You should maybe also mention infinity fabric across GPUs and Nvlink

They will require a certain kind or SLI or CrossFire bridge to run

yes and no. depends if you mean the physical extra bridge attached. the Crossfire works through the PCIe slot though iirc there were versions with physical bridges. 

-section about Vram usage

you should mention that this is strictly in relation to games. regular 4K content doestn need a lot of Vram and in games it varies greatly between titles

there were some other things like what an SSD actually is and if you had the option you could talk about caching in SSDs and HDDs that most HDDs have and some SSDs have. 

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

just that i said it, there are chromebooks with ryzen

yeah, but our school uses lenovo chromebooks.

13 hours ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

so we are doing an informative speech for school and I chose PC parts as a topic

I think we've lost sight of an important point here:

If your goal is to teach people the basics of how a PC works, they need not know the names of manufacturers or the model names of products that they make.
This paper does more to teach people how the PC Market works than to teach them how the PC actually works. You shouldn't get caught up too much in the specific technologies (distinguishing between different PCIe speeds/slots) and the like.

A general outline for an "Introduction To The Personal Computer" should be more about the parts and what they do, not who makes them or what interfaces they use. In the general case, if you mention a manufacturer in any way other than something like "The processor, usually made by either Intel or AMD..." and then going on the describe the general outline of what a CPU does, you're getting too bogged down in market detail.

For example:

1. High level overview of all the parts, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD/SSD, Mobo
  2. An "in-depth" overview of the CPU, including the difference between software and hardware.
  3. An "in-depth" overview of the GPU and RAM
  4. A passing remark about the HDD/SSD and how it relates (or doesn't relate) to RAM.

So I guess you've got a decision to make: Do you want to cover the PC Market, or the basics of how the PC works?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

11 hours ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

HOLY SH!T YOUR GOOD!!!! would you mind if I used this?

Why do you think I spent all the time editing it? ? Knock yourself out.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

11 hours ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

If you don't want to spend too long talking about what's listed in the above post, I would do a speech more on "how to build a good PC", with some talking points such as the following:

• Quality of components and why it matters.
  • Price/performance and what goes into deciding that.
  • SSD vs HDD, specifically with budget builds.
  • Alternative options(Core i5/i7 Optiplex + PSU + GPU).
  • Expected performance of given components(specifically GPUs, but others can be expanded onto if necessary).

Just as an example of what you could talk about in a speech like that.

One thing you really want to do is explain the terms(GPU, CPU, HDD, SSD, PSU, etc). You basically want to assume that nobody in your audience will know what those mean, and defining them will definitely help them understand what you're talking about and possibly your grade. Goes along the lines of "know your audience".

Find sources, too. When I did a speech about PCs v Consoles, I actually looked up the price of an Xbox One on Amazon, and compared that to the price of the aforementioned Used Optiplex route. Turns out the latter was cheaper than the former, and I could provide sources to back that up since I had done the research and found the parts and pricing. This probably isn't too important for you, but it would be a good idea anyway to have some sources in case people ask.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

36 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

If your goal is to teach people the basics of how a PC works, they need not know the names of manufacturers or the model names of products that they make.
This paper does more to teach people how the PC Market works than to teach them how the PC actually works. You shouldn't get caught up too much in the specific technologies (distinguishing between different PCIe speeds/slots) and the like.

A general outline for an "Introduction To The Personal Computer" should be more about the parts and what they do, not who makes them or what interfaces they use. In the general case, if you mention a manufacturer in any way other than something like "The processor, usually made by either Intel or AMD..." and then going on the describe the general outline of what a CPU does, you're getting too bogged down in market detail.

So I guess you've got a decision to make: Do you want to cover the PC Market, or the basics of how the PC works?

@bigmouthbob1 Stewie's got a lot of good points here.  If your audience is fellow students, then discussing RAM types probably going to be meaningless to most, if not all.  This can hurt you if the speech is peer reviewed.  Introducing and defining components is probably all the depth you want to give; manufactures, different speeds, etc. is probably way too deep.  @2SidedPolygon's version is better focused, but is still aimed more at people interested in the topic; your audience is probably not interested at all.

Something else to consider is many people these days do not consider the PC relevant anymore.  You need to address this straight away or your audience will simply switch off.  This is due to the perception that "PC" is bunch of boxes that require a desk and Windows; they're for Fortnight and business, not "normal" people.  It might be helpful to get attention by starting your speech with a quick reminder that smartphones and tablets are also "personal computers" and they also have CPUs, GPUs (in a way), RAM, ROM, etc.

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

I think we've lost sight of an important point here:

For example:

1. High level overview of all the parts, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD/SSD, Mobo
  2. An "in-depth" overview of the CPU, including the difference between software and hardware.
  3. An "in-depth" overview of the GPU and RAM
  4. A passing remark about the HDD/SSD and how it relates (or doesn't relate) to RAM.

That sounds good, but I was limited in my speech, because my teacher knows that I could go on all day about that kind of stuff. I would do how the PC works, but I’m saving that for the next essay.

12 hours ago, Blasteque said:

@bigmouthbob1 Stewie's got a lot of good points here.  If your audience is fellow students, then discussing RAM types probably going to be meaningless to most, if not all.  This can hurt you if the speech is peer reviewed.  Introducing and defining components is probably all the depth you want to give; manufactures, different speeds, etc. is probably way too deep.  @2SidedPolygon's version is better focused, but is still aimed more at people interested in the topic; your audience is probably not interested at all.

Something else to consider is many people these days do not consider the PC relevant anymore.  You need to address this straight away or your audience will simply switch off.  This is due to the perception that "PC" is bunch of boxes that require a desk and Windows; they're for Fortnight and business, not "normal" people.  It might be helpful to get attention by starting your speech with a quick reminder that smartphones and tablets are also "personal computers" and they also have CPUs, GPUs (in a way), RAM, ROM, etc.

Surprisingly, I got most of my class hooked on PCs because we had an in-class formal debate. PC v Console. I was up against my classes most hardcore console fanboy. I made very compelling points to the point where people came up to me afterward and started asking me questions. 2 people actually built their own. So most of the class is interested. But I do agree with you about the part where people might switch off. I will add something like you mentioned so, thanks!