i7 9700k + MSI MEG Z390 ACE MOBO + H150i AIO

Hello all,

Need some help on installing my CPU on my new (and first) desktop build. I have absolutely no prior experience with PC building, so want advice/instructions on how to proceed. As noted in the title, I have an Intel i7 9700k CPU, a MSI MEG Z390 ACE MOBO, and a Corsair H150i Pro AIO. I am confused on how to install the CPU, specifically on delidding (if necessary) and whether to use LM or standard thermal paste, as well as how to apply it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You don't need to delid the CPU. That actually involves taking the metal cover off and changing pastes that directly touch the actual CPU. Don't do that on your first build, or until you feel comfortable doing it in the future. Liquid metal is for when you take the heat spreader (the metal cover with the writing, or the "lid") off. It does better at transferring heat then the standard paste that intel applies themselves. Also, the CPU you have is soldered between the heat spreader and the CPU so delidding would take longer. 

This video includes the 8700k (previous version of 9700k, it install the same) and same AIO that you have, so the installation of both parts will be in the video for you to see. This video should also should show you how to apply thermal paste. I don't recommend using the paste intel provides. You can use the paste that comes applied on the cooler or paste that you buy. If you use paste that you bought (not LM), then wipe the paste off the AIO since you don't want to mix them.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

You don't need to delid the CPU. That actually involves taking the metal cover off and changing pastes that directly touch the actual CPU. Don't do that on your first build, or until you feel comfortable doing it in the future. Liquid metal is for when you take the heat spreader (the metal cover with the writing, or the "lid") off. It does better at transferring heat then the standard paste that intel applies themselves. Also, the CPU you have is soldered between the heat spreader and the CPU so delidding would take longer. 

This video includes the 8700k (previous version of 9700k, it install the same) and same AIO that you have, so the installation of both parts will be in the video for you to see. This video should also should show you how to apply thermal paste. I don't recommend using the paste intel provides. You can use the paste that comes applied on the cooler or paste that you buy. If you use paste that you bought (not LM), then wipe the paste off the AIO since you don't want to mix them.

Awesome, thank you so much. I applied LM to my gaming laptop in the past (successfully), but wasn't very sure how that translated over to the CPU, specifically to this model as well.

Just now, BSula99 said:

Awesome, thank you so much. I applied LM to my gaming laptop in the past (successfully), but wasn't very sure how that translated over to the CPU, specifically to this model as well.

Yeah it's a different boat for sure. Liquid metal actually does worse at lower temps than regular paste, so thats what the crazy overclockers use it and its also why it works well in laptops, which you've found out.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu