Question about my monitor and new GSYNC driver.

AnthonyLUL

So I have one of the 12 GSync driver optimized monitors (Acer XFA240) but I'm wondering if it's GSync Compatible or just regular GSync.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison.png

nvidia-g-sync-compatible-monitors-850@2x.jpg

1 minute ago, AnthonyLUL said:

So I have one of the 12 GSync driver optimized monitors (Acer XFA240) but I'm wondering if it's GSync Compatible or just regular GSync.

nvidia-g-sync-monitor-stack-comparison.png

nvidia-g-sync-compatible-monitors-850@2x.jpg

Nah its just nvidia coding freesync to work and then naming it gsync compat while doing a bad job of coding it. My MG279Q is simlar to the tn version and it worked perfectly fine. Its limited to a very crappy freesync range tho. (60-90). Just don't unless it has a good range. Even though my monitor is 144hz it limits it to 90. Its also gsync compat if thats the answer you are looking for.

1 minute ago, CorruptedSanity said:

It's a Freesync monitor that is, "G-Sync compatible," and is not a G-Sync monitor.

I know it's a freesync monitor but it's one of the 12 that they tested and it passed all their tests.

7 minutes ago, AnthonyLUL said:

I know it's a freesync monitor but it's one of the 12 that they tested and it passed all their tests.

Yeah, that's why it is g-sync compatible.  It works through the driver but has no g-sync module and associated extra cost.  I was just answering your question.

Just now, CorruptedSanity said:

Yeah, that's why it is g-sync compatible.  It works through the driver but has no g-sync module and associated extra cost.  I was just answering your question.

Ah ok, had to make sure, is there really a point in having it on? I get 144+FPS in all games I play anyways

Ah ok, had to make sure, is there really a point in having it on? I get 144+FPS in all games I play anyways

no screen tearing.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, AnthonyLUL said:

I would leave it on always unless we are in the esport tryhard catagory as frame tears will show more information than synced ones.

Just now, knightslugger said:

no screen tearing.

It won't cause input lag?

Just now, AnthonyLUL said:

You can end up with tearing when you go above your monitors refresh rate, it may help with that.  Do you notice tearing, especially when panning horizontally? 

Here's an Nvidia G-Sync demo;  https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Sorta, since its syncing the frames, at worst g-sync could be 1 frame behind. (Which is nothing compared to v-sync)

How much is v-sync lagged?

3 minutes ago, CorruptedSanity said:

You can end up with tearing when you go above your monitors refresh rate, it may help with that.  Do you notice tearing, especially when panning horizontally? 

Here's an Nvidia G-Sync demo;  https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Yea in certain games I have and in that demo I did with my fps going from 145-180. I have no issue keeping it on ofc but like I just worry about input lag

Just now, TrigrH said:

Screen-Shot-2013-12-12-at-7.06.57-AM.pngMassive Lag and stuttering ^^^^^^

Screen-Shot-2013-12-12-at-7.06.57-AM.png

No Lag but bad tearing.

Screen-Shot-2013-12-12-at-7.07.57-AM.pngNo perceived lag, but the monitor will wait (a tiny amount of time) till a new frame is ready, instead of tearing the frame.

Hey man I just wanna make sure but like. Is my monitor only getting the validated experience or could it get the premium experience. If not, what monitors give off a premium experience? You seem to know lots ab gsync

26 minutes ago, AnthonyLUL said:

According to the included image Nvidia now classifies it as "G-Sync" although the tech is based on free-sync. Meanwhile "G-Sync compatible" are all the freesync monitors that did not meet Nvidia's tests, and G-Sync "Ultimate" are the monitors that were traditionally called "G-Sync" esp. the new gen 3 HDR ones.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, AnthonyLUL said:

Hey man I just wanna make sure but like. Is my monitor only getting the validated experience or could it get the premium experience. If not, what monitors give off a premium experience? You seem to know lots ab gsync

There are other features that a g-sync display may have, ULMB blacklight strobing, wider sync range etc. Nothing too crazy.

With your display you get the feature that matters the most, so turn it on and enjoy the smoother gameplay!

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

There are other features that a g-sync display may have, ULMB blacklight strobing, wider sync range etc. Nothing too crazy.

Yea but my question is what experience should I expect on my monitor (Acer XFA240)

Yea but my question is what experience should I expect on my monitor (Acer XFA240)

A fully functional variable refresh rate monitor. Need I say more?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I think you are getting confused.

VESA the creators of display port have implemented "adaptive sync tech" into displayport.

Your monitor supports that, and has been certified by amd to work with freesync which is the same thing just a different name.

Nvidia is now doing the same thing, your monitor is certified/validated to support the tech when using an nvidia gpu.

So use it :)

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I think you are getting confused.

VESA the creators of display port have implemented "adaptive sync tech" into displayport.

Your monitor supports that, and has been certified by amd to work with freesync which is the same thing just a different name.

Nvidia is now doing the same thing, your monitor is certified/validated to support the tech when using an nvidia gpu.

So use it :)

Oh alright, thanks brother.

3 hours ago, H20Burner said:

Nah its just nvidia coding freesync to work and then naming it gsync compat while doing a bad job of coding it. My MG279Q is simlar to the tn version and it worked perfectly fine. Its limited to a very crappy freesync range tho. (60-90). Just don't unless it has a good range. Even though my monitor is 144hz it limits it to 90. Its also gsync compat if thats the answer you are looking for.

you can just use the CRU to change your range btw.

Needs Update