XSPC D5 Photon 170 Reservoir/Pump Combo

Hey guys, just a quickie

Is the XSPC D5 Photon 170 a good reservoir/pump combo? Is the pump any good?

I was thinking about getting it, for a water cooling build, I'm making in the near future. If it's not a good reservoir/pump combo, could you recommend some, it needs to be something like XSPC D5 Photon 170. And I want a D5 vario pump.

Edit: Size should be the same or smaller than the XSPC D5 Photon 170.

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

The Pump is the best pump on the market imo. And the res is quite nice too. I just don't like the look of the pump. That's why i went and got a mod kit for the D5, a D5 and 270mm Photon. 

The Pump is the best pump on the market imo. And the res is quite nice too. I just don't like the look of the pump. That's why i went and got a mod kit for the D5, a D5 and 270mm Photon. 

I was actually going to get the bitspower mod kit for the pump :P

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

I was actually going to get the bitspower mod kit for the pump :P

That is the one i have :D.  (It was quite difficult to get it on) But why a resevoir and pump combo? Since you will have to remove the pump in order to put on the mod kit. (And i don't know if it will fit with the mopd kit on it)

That is the one i have :D.  (It was quite difficult to get it on) But why a resevoir and pump combo? Since you will have to remove the pump in order to put on the mod kit. (And i don't know if it will fit with the mopd kit on it)

I want it so I can mount is on one of the rads, it's for a MATX build, and I don't have a lot of room to place it elsewhere. Mod kit shouldn't be to big a problem, I think.

I want it so I can mount is on one of the rads, it's for a MATX build, and I don't have a lot of room to place it elsewhere. Mod kit shouldn't be to big a problem, I think.

I have like 1 cm of tubeing between my pump and the res...  Also what mount it on a rad? To me that sounds like a big no no. Just mount it to your case. My res came with a little mounting thingy.

It's not bad, I have one lying around for a build I'm working on right now and it looks alright, I much prefer the look of the Bitspower mod kits though

Hey guys, just a quickie

Is the XSPC D5 Photon 170 a good reservoir/pump combo? Is the pump any good?

I was thinking about getting it, for a water cooling build, I'm making in the near future. If it's not a good reservoir/pump combo, could you recommend some, it needs to be something like XSPC D5 Photon 170. And I want a D5 vario pump.

Edit: Size should be the same or smaller than the XSPC D5 Photon 170.

i use one in my build which can be found here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101502-my-first-watercooled-build-its-sexy/

its a great quality pump and the rez looks very attractive. i switched out the white LED and didn't solder it onto the wires so when i pulled it out to do cable management it got stuck in the tube and im having trouble getting it out. the rez was a bit tricky to fill but i found a good technique of doing so. get a straw and stick partially in the fill port. then the water wont have much resistance going in and the air will be able to escape making room for the water. i would definitely recommend this pump rez combo to anyone looking for style and function in their build.

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

From the images on xspc's website it looks like one of the bitspower modkits would go on just fine

also great pump/res combo, best ive used

I have like 1 cm of tubeing between my pump and the res...  Also what mount it on a rad? To me that sounds like a big no no. Just mount it to your case. My res came with a little mounting thingy.

Why is that a big no no? A lot do this on youtube, maybe not with this exact res. Shouldn't be that much different though.

From the images on xspc's website it looks like one of the bitspower modkits would go on just fine

also great pump/res combo, best ive used

Yeah, the same thing I have seen :P

I prefer the aqualis, but having a 450ml tube can give a lot of fitting issues.

• 9 months later...

Hi , I have a question about the res : I have one ,and not installed yet, I hear disturbing newz that the water in the res hardly moves at all, as in does not contribute to the loop , but sits in the res like a big bottle of water ,being just that a big bottle of water, and takes hours to cycle ,like if you put dye in it stays in res for hours before moving through the loop , because of the design.

How do you find it, are you happy with it, does it seem to sit stagnant in the loop and not move ?

I would consider the EK-xres 140 D5 vario/pump combo because it's little smaller and you have more mounting options. Like you said, you don't have much space.

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

I would consider the EK-xres 140 D5 vario/pump combo because it's little smaller and you have more mounting options. Like you said, you don't have much space.

I already have the Photon 270 ,I was asking if anyone else had it and what they think of flow in the Res inself, as the design means most of the fluid bypasses the res, because of the baffle ;) I'v not installed mine yet, waiting for GPU before I can start.