Ryzen 3000

Should you wait for Ryzen 3000 series?

I was originally going to go with a 2000 series but I want what is best.

Plus I don't plan on buying all the PC parts until sometime in the summer. 

Thanks

By the time the sun sets at 1930, 3rd gen will be out so do wait.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I would wait and ask that question closer to when you are going to buy. Things change and you really should make decision based on the most up to date information. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would wait and ask that question closer to when you are going to buy. Things change and you really should make decision based on the most up to date information. 

Asking now just to get started on the PC Build.

Here's a good question

What chipset motherboard would the Ryzen 3000 series require?

15 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

Asking now just to get started on the PC Build.

Here's a good question

What chipset motherboard would the Ryzen 3000 series require?

Really, the question to ask is socket size, not chipset, but they all use the same socket type sooo.

It depends on your use case with the zen 2 CPUs, but the current stuff that's popular and out now is the b350, b450, x370, and x470 chipsets. The X470 stuff is the best, and the top of the line X470 motherboards will handle the 3000 CPU's the best.

I don't usually recommend the b350 and x370 boards since their quality aren't as good overall compared to the b450 and x470 boards.

So what are you actually planning to do? What games do you want to play, what resolution do you want to play at, and what refresh rates do you want to get for the monitor (what FPS do you want to hit?)?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

39 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Really, the question to ask is socket size, not chipset, but they all use the same socket type sooo.

It depends on your use case with the zen 2 CPUs, but the current stuff that's popular and out now is the b350, b450, x370, and x470 chipsets. The X470 stuff is the best, and the top of the line X470 motherboards will handle the 3000 CPU's the best.

I don't usually recommend the b350 and x370 boards since their quality aren't as good overall compared to the b450 and x470 boards.

Oh oops.

Yeah that's what I meant to say Socket type.

AMD has not released a date yet right? 

39 minutes ago, mxk. said:

So what are you actually planning to do? What games do you want to play, what resolution do you want to play at, and what refresh rates do you want to get for the monitor (what FPS do you want to hit?)?

Mostly gaming, video edits, some streaming maybe. 

Thinking about getting a 4k monitor so I would like to play games in 1440p. 

If possible at ULTRA settings. 

A 32" or 34" monitor. 

1 hour ago, EchoBlue said:

Oh oops.

Yeah that's what I meant to say Socket type.

AMD has not released a date yet right? 

Mostly gaming, video edits, some streaming maybe. 

Thinking about getting a 4k monitor so I would like to play games in 1440p. 

If possible at ULTRA settings. 

A 32" or 34" monitor. 

AMD said they would be using the AM4 socket (the current one) up until 2020. 

No they haven't released an official date, but it'll most likely be around the middle of this year.

Honestly, when you start getting into higher resolutions games become more GPU bound and the gaps between CPUs are really shown at lower resolutions. So if you're gaming that high of a resolution, I assume you're going for a 1080 Ti, Vega 7, 2080, or 2080 Ti?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I understand the want to start planning now, but you really should wait until you've got your budget and you're ready to pull the trigger on buying parts.  By the time you're ready to buy, it's possible the X570 boards could be out, the CPU options will be all over the place with the new models maybe being released.  

If you want to start planning anything, start looking for things that are pretty steady in their usefulness, like your cooling solution, case, SSD, maybe even RAM.  But CPU, GPU and Mobo, I'd say wait and do your research when there is actual products out to research with reviews and benchmarks to compare. 

8 hours ago, mxk. said:

AMD said they would be using the AM4 socket (the current one) up until 2020. 

No they haven't released an official date, but it'll most likely be around the middle of this year.

Honestly, when you start getting into higher resolutions games become more GPU bound and the gaps between CPUs are really shown at lower resolutions. So if you're gaming that high of a resolution, I assume you're going for a 1080 Ti, Vega 7, 2080, or 2080 Ti?

Yes that is what I am thinking. I'd probably need a really beefy GPU. Still not sure if I wanna go AMD or Nvidia. 

5 hours ago, pstarlord said:

I understand the want to start planning now, but you really should wait until you've got your budget and you're ready to pull the trigger on buying parts.  By the time you're ready to buy, it's possible the X570 boards could be out, the CPU options will be all over the place with the new models maybe being released.  

If you want to start planning anything, start looking for things that are pretty steady in their usefulness, like your cooling solution, case, SSD, maybe even RAM.  But CPU, GPU and Mobo, I'd say wait and do your research when there is actual products out to research with reviews and benchmarks to compare. 

I guess you are right. 

Gonna start with storage case and all that other good stuff then. 

Been wanting to get a desktop for quite a long time.

Why are there so many different socket type motherboards for AMD? 

3 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

Yes that is what I am thinking. I'd probably need a really beefy GPU. Still not sure if I wanna go AMD or Nvidia. 

I guess you are right. 

Gonna start with storage case and all that other good stuff then. 

Been wanting to get a desktop for quite a long time.

Why are there so many different socket type motherboards for AMD? 

There's only one socket type being used by them right now, AM4. The other ones that aren't being made right now that come to mind is fm2 and am3, but those CPU's aren't produced and neither are the motherboards for them.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

There's only one socket type being used by them right now, AM4. The other ones that aren't being made right now that come to mind is fm2 and am3, but those CPU's aren't produced and neither are the motherboards for them.

Are you saying any AM4 motherboard will run Ryzen 3000 series? 

3 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Are you saying any AM4 motherboard will run Ryzen 3000 series? 

Yeah, thats why I said AMD would be using AM4 until 2020. The whole point is compatibility for the AMD buyers.

You could pick up a really super beefy x470 motherboard and then be able to slap a zen 2 chip in there when they get released this year.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra