PSU fan spun while trying to connect usb cable

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,

As most motherboards the USB ports remain powered all the time so you can charge devices off them my guess is the PSU detected a sudden surge on the 5VSB line so spun up the fan to keep the VRMs cool, then noticed the spike had gone so turned the fan off again.

Hi everyone,

I was connecting my psu's corsair link usb cable to the motherboard today and suddenly noticed the psu fan spun slowly for 2 seconds while the PC was off. I got a little worried at first since I thought static electricity caused that, but the computer is running fine now. Anyone know for sure if static electricity could of caused that or maybe it's something else that I'm not aware of?

Was it unplugged and/or switched off?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Put it this way, you would know if it were damaged. There would be lots of smoke, and a repugnant smell. Or your computer would just not post. I had the latter happen to a really old win98 machine with an athlon 1000 in it.

As most motherboards the USB ports remain powered all the time so you can charge devices off them my guess is the PSU detected a sudden surge on the 5VSB line so spun up the fan to keep the VRMs cool, then noticed the spike had gone so turned the fan off again.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Was it unplugged and/or switched off?

no it wasn't switched off.

3 minutes ago, BenyaminJ said:

no it wasn't switched off.

Then yeah, like @Alex Atkin UK said, still had connection for a power surge. It's good practice to disconnect your PC from a power source when plugging stuff in, thankfully this cable was probably a small fry so nothing was broken.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If the PSU was turned off at the back it was probably the same situation but it ran until the capacitors drained.  Either way its unlikely to be an issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7