New m/b for HP Proliant N36L

My HP ProLiant N36L has more or less given up the ghost and no longer can transcode at a good enough speed to be able to use for Plex. Have had a luck and cant really upgrade the processor but cant seem to find what type/size motherboard it is and whether it is up-gradable with a new m/b and processor or whether I need to look at maybe a completely new solution which I am also open to. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these and if anyone could offer any advice.

//Sirob LeRoi

4 hours ago, SirobLeRoi said:

My HP ProLiant N36L has more or less given up the ghost and no longer can transcode at a good enough speed to be able to use for Plex. Have had a luck and cant really upgrade the processor but cant seem to find what type/size motherboard it is and whether it is up-gradable with a new m/b and processor or whether I need to look at maybe a completely new solution which I am also open to. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these and if anyone could offer any advice.

//Sirob LeRoi

You likely will have difficulty fitting any motherboard in the chassis besides the factory one. You should be able to find replacement motherboards on eBay, but I have no idea if they are cost effective.

You should first look on the motherboard itself and find the official HP Part Number for it. Then, search eBay for that part number.

Here are some results, but without the specific part number, you may order the wrong thing:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hp+proliant+n36l+motherboard&_sacat=0

At the low end ($50-$100), it's probably worth it to buy the replacement board. However, any more then that, and I would start looking at a whole new server.

CPU, RAM, and RAID Cards can probably be salvaged. PSU and anything chassis specific can be sold on eBay or Craigslist. You can also try selling the chassis itself (Though make sure to list as "For Parts/Not Working" and specify that the motherboard is toast).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)