Booting to BIOS every time

Go to solution Solved by azurite2,
On 1/11/2019 at 11:14 AM, Radium_Angel said:

That just means they have power.

What if you choose the UEFI partition, what happens?

Alternatively, unplug everything that isn't your boot drive, hop into BIOS and see if you can see it from there...

I ended up finding the solution on tom's hardware. I needed to enable "Launch CSM". Thank you so much for your help, and hopefully this helps some other people, because I couldn't find anyone else with a problem like this.

I built a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

7 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I build a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Did you change anything after you updated the BIOS?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I build a new pc yesterday and wasn't having any problems. Today I decided to go and update the bios on my motherboard, and now I boot to the bios every time. Now the reason it is doing this is because it has no drive to boot to, which is kind of weird since it was just working. It's supposed to boot off of an m.2 drive, so I don't know how the connection could have gotten loose. However my other two hdd don't show up either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you updated the BIOS,, there's a good chance it wiped your CMOS and settings, so just go into boot options and set the SSD/HDD order for booting and it should be back to normal.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Did you change anything after you updated the BIOS?

Turned on cpu virtualization 

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Just now, azurite2 said:

Turned on cpu virtualization 

That shouldn't cause issues.

Ok, assuming you updated the BIOS with the right firmware, I'd say reset BIOS back to defaults, but pulling the battery and changing the jumper setting on the motherboard. This will reset all defaults. Then see what happens

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That shouldn't cause issues.

Ok, assuming you updated the BIOS with the right firmware, I'd say reset BIOS back to defaults, but pulling the battery and changing the jumper setting on the motherboard. This will reset all defaults. Then see what happens

I still have nothing. The drives are still seen in this screen though

20190111_090810.jpg

Flashing to a beta bios as well as the original didn't seem to do anything. All three of the drives can be seen in other menus within the bios, I just can't seem to select any of them as a boot device.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

If you updated the BIOS,, there's a good chance it wiped your CMOS and settings, so just go into boot options and set the SSD/HDD order for booting and it should be back to normal.

The problem is nothing shows up, I can't select any drives.

5 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

The problem is nothing shows up, I can't select any drives.

Look at the error message under the device listings in your image. That should give you a clue as to what is going on.

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Look at the error message under the device listings in your image. That should give you a clue as to what is going on.

The only error like message I have found is the image posted above, but nothing related to optane memory or raid options appears to be on.

2 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

The only error like message I have found is the image posted above, but nothing related to optane memory or raid options appears to be on.

Post a clearer pic of that screen again please? Ensure the whole message is in the shot. The one above is partially cut off

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Post a clearer pic of that screen again please? Ensure the whole message is in the shot. The one above is partially cut off

I get no error messages at all, I can hear the hdd's spin up when the pc starts, and all drives are seen in the bios. I just have no way to select them in the boot options.

20190111_101813.jpg

20190111_104834.jpg

Edited by azurite2

53 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I can hear the hdd's spin up when the pc starts

Alternatively, unplug everything that isn't your boot drive, hop into BIOS and see if you can see it from there...

On 1/11/2019 at 11:14 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I ended up finding the solution on tom's hardware. I needed to enable "Launch CSM". Thank you so much for your help, and hopefully this helps some other people, because I couldn't find anyone else with a problem like this.

12 minutes ago, azurite2 said:

I ended up finding the solution on tom's hardware. I needed to enable "Launch CFM". Thank you so much for your help, and hopefully this helps some other people, because I couldn't find anyone else with a problem like this.

Cool, glad it's working.