NVIDIA claims that Freesync monitors don't work well even with AMD GPUs

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

On the business end I think things are a bit more sophisticated than your post seems to indicate.  Looking at Samsung it doesn't seem like they were at all inclined to bloat their B.O.M costs with nvidia, only just now came out with a singular monitor with it at CES.  Them having gone this long paints a pretty clear picture of their thoughts.

does it? How so?

Though there is certainly some pains to be had developing their inhouse software to make use of AdaptSync/FreeSync work well, there are a few of the monitor guys whom are keen on doing it if for no other reason than to see G-Sync fail and disappear.

I would be very wary of listening to anyone who takes the view that a product like this should disappear, it generally means they lack the understanding of how the market works.  Typically people with that type of perspective have tunnel vision and are only looking at the technical specs, or the company or their previous experience with it.  they don't tend to see the bigger picture, they tend to forget that consumers are allowed to have choices and companies are allowed to provide them. 

Any monitor manufacturer who also makes televisions, I would think, should want to see Adapt/FreeSync trump nvidias scheme so they can have the same support for both monitors for PC gaming and TVs for consoles.  Plus not having to increase their unit costs quite so dramatically effectively pricing themselves out with non-gamers.

Anyways, I don't think that the big companies making screens have been taking the subject lightly(except LG) by 'cutting corners'; and if they did, they didn't for long.

Regardless of the reasons why it should work,  the reasons I listed for it not working seem to be bearing out  as true from users experience.  Especially with regards to open standards.  I could take the linux Kernel and make my own distro, but it would be shit, nothing would work as it should however it would still be linux. the issue with adaptive sync (and we are seeing it with USB C ATM too) is that anyone can make a freesync monitor, there is nothing to guarantee a minimum quality.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

AMD should start certifying displays with the "Freesync" branding. Those who do not want to go through AMD or are substandard should call it "Adaptive Sync" or "Adaptive Sync Compatible" instead.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

They don't just allow it, people can lie or mess it up but it's still a standard with defined requirements set by VESA. You can't just call a monitor HDMI 2.0, put a HDMI 2.0 sticker on it, if it only has HDMI 1.2 ports.

Nothing stops a similar lie for G-sync, what stops me selling a monitor with a G-sync sticker on it if it doesn't actually have a G-sync module in it? Nothing until people find out.

The threat of a lawsuit would certainly lower the quantity of sub par monitors.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah right: if it was up to Jensen he'd claim that cards below 500 bucks MSPR don't work well either so just stfu and buy a 2080ti.

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 hours ago, krakkpott said:

AMD should start certifying displays with the "Freesync" branding. Those who do not want to go through AMD or are substandard should call it "Adaptive Sync" or "Adaptive Sync Compatible" instead.

They do. They just have really low standards (something "FreeSync 2" apparently changed; I've heard it has a much higher bar, which is probably why we aren't seeing too many of them, it actually requires effort, something monitor manufacturers aren't big fans of)

https://techreport.com/news/27650/here-240-fps-footage-of-amd-freesync-tech-and-some-new-info

The certification process will be free of charge, the company tells us, so it hopefully won't add to the cost of FreeSync panels.

This is from the link @Glenwing provided. My take on the quote is that it doesn't matter if the certification process itself is free if the manufacturer will have to be extra careful and increase QC in order to pass that certification. Which means that panel cost may increase anyway. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones