Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with streaming

Frosty!

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

nvenc uses hardware encoder on the video card which is separate silicon from the part that processes your game - so the 80% of cpu and gpu is used strictly by the game. Well, the cpu is still used to compress the audio to mp3 or aac, but that's basically something like 1-3% cpu usage.

So what answer do you expect... 80% is good, it means the game actually uses the video card well, same for the cpu... as long as there's no hiccups or stutters everything would seem fine.

6000 is ok, if you have the upload bandwidth to sustain it (you'd need about 7 mbps or around 800KB/s upload speed all the time).  The hardware encoder doesn't care about that bitrate, it actually has less computing to do pack the frames in 6000, would have to work more to squeeze in less bandwidth ...

Hey there!

I am currently looking at 2 builds I own:

i5 6500

GTX 1060 3Gb

16GB ram ddr4 2666MHz

i7 2700K

GTX 780ti 2Gb

12GB ram ddr3

When I try to game on the i5 build it obviously runs a bit smoother, but when I try to stream for example Overwatch I get a lot of spikes on the i5 build (it's awful). On the i7 however things are so much smoother, it doesn't even feel like I am streaming. I get a little fps drop and the stream isn't laggy at all! I have no idea what causes this, maybe because the i7 has 4 more treads, hypertreading and 2mb more L3 cache??

I am using SLOBS for streaming btw :D

If someone could help me out that would be great! 

A 4 core 4 thread CPU is not going to cut it for streaming, You need those threads. The more, the better. The i7 is far superior in terms of performance for gaming/streaming over the i5 6500. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Also, SLOBS is horrible and buggy AF. It is also more resource intensive than just using OBS and a stand alone chat bot and such. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Are you using the software encoder (x264) or the hardware encoder (nvenc) inside OBS?

If using the software encoder, then 2700k has higher clocks (up to 3.9 ghz) and has hyperthreading so you get 8 cores, and supports the same instruction sets (avx , sse4 etc) as the newer i5 6500

if you're using hardware nvenc, then the differences could be explained by you having only 2GB of vram memory on the GTX 780 - overwatch may change to using lower quality (smaller) textures on the gtx780ti, or shaders optimized for DX9 or DX10 instead of DX11 paths used on 1060 ... the game may have to shuffle fewer textures as you move through the open world instead of reading from hard drive and uploading in card constantly etc etc

I don't know, honestly never tried the game.

Just now, mariushm said:

Are you using the software encoder (x264) or the hardware encoder (nvenc) inside OBS?

If using the software encoder, then 2700k has higher clocks (up to 3.9 ghz) and has hyperthreading so you get 8 cores, and supports the same instruction sets (avx , sse4 etc) as the newer i5 6500

if you're using hardware nvenc, then the differences could be explained by you having only 2GB of vram memory on the GTX 780 - overwatch may change to using lower textures on the gtx780ti, or shaders optimized for DX9 or DX10 instead of DX11 paths used on 1060 ... I don't know, honestly never tried the game.

I tried nvenc on the i5 but also that doesn't work. The i7 is totally fine with x254

19 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

A 4 core 4 thread CPU is not going to cut it for streaming, You need those threads. The more, the better. The i7 is far superior in terms of performance for gaming/streaming over the i5 6500. 

Thanks! 

Do you got any recomendations for a upgrade, atm I got: H110M mobo, i5 6500 with 16gb ram 2666MHz......

Should try to get a "better" i7 or should I wait for zen 2?

2 minutes ago, Frosty! said:

Thanks! 

Do you got any recomendations for a upgrade, atm I got: H110M mobo, i5 6500 with 16gb ram 2666MHz......

Should try to get a "better" i7 or should I wait for zen 2?

with that board, the best you could get is the i7 7700. AMDs keynote should be kicking off here in a few minutes so we should know more about Zen 2 with that. Hold off on any changes/upgrades until then.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

with that board, the best you could get is the i7 7700. AMDs keynote should be kicking off here in a few minutes so we should know more about Zen 2 with that. Hold off on any changes/upgrades until then.

I am also watching the keynote :D   If they have a great combo at my local retailers I'll just pick that up, but first we gotta see what we actually are getting!

Oh and is 2666MHz enough for a ryzen cpu, I heard you need minimum 3000..........

Hardware nvEnc should work on the 1060, you have your obs configured incorrectly. Check color format (should be NV12 I think), DirectX 11 renderer, yuv color space 709, full (for anything higher than 1024x768, yuv color space 601 for less, as it's considered SD content)

Software encoding (x264) will work on anything, you can play with encoding quality to make it use less cpu resources (so game has more cpu and gets more fps). Superfast profile will generally be good for those processors, ultrafast will reduce cpu usage by just a bit but with substantial quality loss. 

Oh and is 2666MHz enough for a ryzen cpu, I heard you need minimum 3000.........

If you have already the kit, then use it.

Ryzen does benefit from memory running at higher frequencies like 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz, you gain a few percent performance maybe with higher frequency ram but it's not really a "oh you absolutely must buy new memory kit" 

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Hardware nvEnc should work on the 1060, you have your obs configured incorrectly. Check color format (should be NV12 I think), DirectX 11 renderer, yuv color space 709, full (for anything higher than 1024x768, yuv color space 601 for less, as it's considered SD content)

Software encoding (x264) will work on anything, you can play with encoding quality to make it use less cpu resources (so game has more cpu and gets more fps). Superfast profile will generally be good for those processors, ultrafast will reduce cpu usage by just a bit but with substantial quality loss. 

I'll try that!

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If you have already the kit, then use it.

Ryzen does benefit from memory running at higher frequencies like 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz, you gain a few percent performance maybe with higher frequency ram but it's not really a "oh you absolutely must buy new memory kit" 

I'm now running a test stream and I got a ~80% load on the GPU and CPU with a bitrate of 6000. I switched to nvenc btw! Are these load alright or too much?

nvenc uses hardware encoder on the video card which is separate silicon from the part that processes your game - so the 80% of cpu and gpu is used strictly by the game. Well, the cpu is still used to compress the audio to mp3 or aac, but that's basically something like 1-3% cpu usage.

So what answer do you expect... 80% is good, it means the game actually uses the video card well, same for the cpu... as long as there's no hiccups or stutters everything would seem fine.

6000 is ok, if you have the upload bandwidth to sustain it (you'd need about 7 mbps or around 800KB/s upload speed all the time).  The hardware encoder doesn't care about that bitrate, it actually has less computing to do pack the frames in 6000, would have to work more to squeeze in less bandwidth ...

Just now, mariushm said:

Alright then I'm good to go thanks a lot!