Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Setting up an Office Server

Zeinone

Hi LTT!

Recently me and a few of my coworkers changed offices and we are setting up one on our own. Now I as the 'IT Guy' want to set up an Ubuntu server that would just work in the background as a File/LDAP/Backup server for our E-mails, documents, etc. I am reading some Ubuntu documentation on setting up both File and LDAP servers (OpenLDAP and Samba), and my question is is it enough? I know that the security of those isn't anything advanced but for now I consider it enough. For the backup server part I'm planning on making a simple windows program (since all the office work is done on windows) that would just access mails that haven't been backed up (on a weekly basis) and send them to the server.

Do you have any tips, or links that will either assist me in the current process or point me somewhere better instead? Should I also make a local SQL like database to make sorting simpler? Do you have something to add yourself?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

A FreeNAS server would be a lot simpler with backup to a service like BackBlaze. Do you actually need an LDAP server? Also what is your email server or service? Do you need advanced central searchability of your backups or would per device/user suffice?

I'm thinking a central file server and endpoint backups of the devices with email client plugins is going to cover almost everything you need and be simpler.

5 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Now I as the 'IT Guy' want to set up an Ubuntu server that would just work in the background as a File/LDAP/Backup server for our E-mails, documents, etc. I am reading some Ubuntu documentation on setting up both File and LDAP servers (OpenLDAP and Samba), and my question is is it enough?

Whether it's enough depends entirely on what your requirements are. If you're not after an ISO27001/NEN7510 certification, I don't see much of a problem with using LDAP. The main benefit of such a solution is centralised login and user management, which is what you want and significantly simplifies stuff like permissions on file shares and allowing multiple people to use the same PC with their settings and files roaming with them. 

Just make sure you use proper passwords for your server and all user accounds and you should be fine. I wouldn't say LDAP is a requirement, but again, it does simplify management.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Do you actually need an LDAP server? Also what is your email server or service? Do you need advanced central searchability of your backups or would per device/user suffice?

The LDAP should simplify access for other Administrators (don't look up to giving plenty of access to ordinary users). The mail server is our domain's server and as for the searchability the simpler the better. I could always get my hands dirty by digging the necessary data but feel free to recommend me something.

Anyway the Ubuntu documentation is a bit old and unmaintained, I would suggest checking the Arch Wiki which has similar steps