Lots of gibberish letters on my external hard drives

Twister

There is lots of folders on my external hard drive(s) I believe to be, a WD Elements of 1TB and 2TB , that says I don't have permission to access/open it, even though I am logged in as the admin user. If I try set access I still don't have permission it says, and the files can be as random of 1b8382dcb516e112dcfbfba9 or similar. They also have the "lock box" on them. I am wondering what these folders are and do? Since I cannot access them or remove them, if its a virus, if my hard drive is starting to fail, or if anything else. Would note to say I have about 11 of these folders on each drive, as soon you enter it. on the G:/ or H:/ or whatever. Example: G:/1b8382dcb516e112dcfbfba9

17 minutes ago, Twister said:

Example: G:/1b8382dcb516e112dcfbfba9

Typically these are windows update directories. You can take ownership of them under "properties" and then "security" and find your account and give it ownership/full permission

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Yea but why does windows update put those folders in my external hard drives HD elements? and not in example C/ or internal mechanical disc drive or SSD drive?

1 minute ago, Twister said:

Yea but why does windows update put those folders in my external hard drives HD elements? and not in example C/ or internal mechanical disc drive or SSD drive?

Because some installers do this without asking the user (a HUGE no-no in my books) in order to not fill up a potentially already full C:\ drive. Could they at least ask during installation? Absolutely, but they choose not to.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, Twister said:

If you dig through your master drive, you'll see them there as well.

As to why Windows does this, I have no idea, I didn't work on the OS. Much of what it does doesn't make sense...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because some installers do this without asking the user (a HUGE no-no in my books) in order to not fill up a potentially already full C:\ drive. Could they at least ask during installation? Absolutely, but they choose not to.

Does it does this because of the C:\ drive is potentially full? If that is the case, then yes mine is potentially already full. And I understand it better then.

vcredist packages usually have folders like that. if you can open it and you see install files, just delete those folders. also, try search that folder name on google. 

yea i tried search it, 0 results.

Also tried open them, but again couldn't access. 

Not so familiar with taking ownership over folders/files, in the security, prefer not to hassle with that. 

these folders normally is empty, or contains lots of harddrive space in them? (and are they safe to delete?)

note: most folders were created/last modified in 2013-2015 too.

Edited by Twister