Any retro nerd tried RX Vega for Retro 3D gaming, yet?

Hans Power

So, I'm contemplating buying a new GPU for some time cause my GTX 960 4g does get in trouble with some of the latest games. Unfortunately choices in videocards are kinda crap these days with RTX being kinda bad and AMD fairing not that much better, tbh but at least prices for RX Vega are somewhat competetive - where I live I could get an RX Vega 56 for 399€ which sounds about right in terms of price/performance and at least I wouldn't pay for an extra piece of basically useless tech. BUT and it's a huge "BUT" I play retro 3D games from the 90s pretty regularly - old shooters and the likes which use the very earliest versions of Direct3D and a lot of obscure ones at that (like some of the stuff you see on youtube channels like LGR for example). And that's where NVidia traditionally offered far greater compatibility than ATI cards (now AMD). For example ATI cards stopped supporting the 16Bit Z-Buffer after the ATI Radeon HD4000 series and that made a lot of early 3D accelerated games basically unplayable (even with emulators) while they continued working with Nvidia cards no problem - so with NVidia you usually just have to sort out compatibility issues with the operating system and the CPU and there are usually compatibility fixes for that. So, since AMD bought ATI "recently" I wonder if backwards compatibility changed for the better or if it's still in the same (or worse) place than it was back in the ATI days.

Correction: The last cards which supported the 16Bit Z-Buffer was actually the Radeon HD3000 series.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

People love doing retro benchmarks, I bet you'd find someone testing with an RX 460 or something and if that works as a retro 3D system a Vega definitely should.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

42 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

People love doing retro benchmarks, I bet you'd find someone testing with an RX 460 or something and if that works as a retro 3D system a Vega definitely should.

I haven't found anything like that. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any modern benchmarks of games like let's say, the original Jedi Knight or X-Wing Alliance. AMD has a pretty tiny marketshare to begin with and almost everyone who plays retro games uses Nvidia (if they use modern hardware).

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

49 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

AMD bought ATI "recently"

That was over 12 years ago lol.

Prices for Pascal have come down a lot, 1070Ti/1080 deals pop up all the time, at least in 'murica.  Not sure about Euroland.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

6 minutes ago, beersykins said:

That was over 12 years ago lol.

Prices for Pascal have come down a lot, 1070Ti/1080 deals pop up all the time, at least in 'murica.  Not sure about Euroland.

Euroland (at least germany) usually has awefully overinflated prices for old hardware for some reason. The cheapest (dual fan) GTX 1080 on amazon is at 517€ right now while the cheapest dual fan 2070 is 529€ right now.

Edit: Actually 499€ for the 2070 - so it's even cheaper than the 1080.