"OS Confusion" in Windows 10

I had been having a number of issues with a 1TB SSD that was acting as a secondary drive on a newly-built PC.  I later found that it had extensive damage, or at least, that's what AOMEI's utility told me, and Windows couldn't do a thing with it.

That aside, I came across an article that said sometimes when installing modern copies of Windows that it could be 'confused' if you installed the OS while more than one hard drive was present.  That is, it might try to extend partitions, put system files on a secondary drive, etc.  My install was a Win10 Pro 64-bit from a retail copy.  At the time, I had both a 120GB SSD installed (OS, primary), and the aforementioned 1TB SSD.  Both were cabled for data and power.  I had no issue with the install.  After I found out the 1TB SSD was bad and I replaced it with a 1TB HDD (new), I still managed to have issues formatting the new drive via Windows Disk Management (4% of a full format after 16 hours).  However, using AOMEI's tool instead, formatting took about 30 seconds.  All manner of HDD testing also succeeded without issue.

So right now, everything seems fine.  I have a drive letter and the HDD responds quickly and without issue.  I am tempted however to yank the power cable on that HDD and reinstall Win10 from scratch though just in case.  What do you think?  Am I being paranoid?

A little fun update to this though I haven't had a reply to this topic:

The SSD was plugged into a different computer...no issues.  No bad sectors, no issues partitioning or formatting.

I'll note that the HDD that replaced it is connected to the same SATA port using the same cable, and has no issues.

Not knowing why the SSD behaved that way on this system is infuriating.

About reinstalling system "just in case" - yes, it's paranoid and not necessary. If after drive change your system works, that means there is no "confusion" and your system is installed on single drive.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:48 AM, homeap5 said:

About reinstalling system "just in case" - yes, it's paranoid and not necessary. If after drive change your system works, that means there is no "confusion" and your system is installed on single drive.

Well, I thought everything was ok, but though it passed a quick check via AOMEI's tool, it wouldn't pass anything other than basic drive information with the drive manufacturer's own tools.  Reinstalled Win10 without the drive attached, then reattached the drive, bang, all tests work, including an 8 hour random read/write torture test.

Moreover, again pointing to the OS Confusion line of thinking, that SSD that was pulled was further tested in the other system...not a single bad sector, updated its firmware just fine, and we loaded with with 100GB just to test...no issues.

I am confused, but all seems well now.