Changing 'default' boot os between mint 19.1 and macOS

I recently set up a dual boot setup between macOS Mojave and Mint on a shared computer.

Since the people (my parents) which I share it with aren't good with computers I was just going to use no bootloader, assuming that it would automatically boot into macos unless I manually selected the mint partition, but this wasn't the case, it would just boot into the last partition used.

Is there a way make this no longer the case and boot into the macos partition normally?

thanks, ire

what model Mac is it?

in throry these are the steps. boot to macOS, go to system preferences and then startup disk. set that to macOS and it should be fine. 

She/Her

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what model Mac is it?

in throry these are the steps. boot to macOS, go to system preferences and then startup disk. set that to macOS and it should be fine. 

The partitions don't appear as options under startup disk,

when I boot into macos then reboot I will enter into macos, same with mint

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 5.01.06 PM.png

When I had a triple boot (macos, windows, ubuntu) setup on my macbook i used rEFInd as a boot manager which allowed me to set a default boot partition. 

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

1 minute ago, 1re said:

The partitions don't appear as options under startup disk,

when I boot into macos then reboot I will enter into macos, same with mint

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 5.01.06 PM.png

wou wanted it to boot macOS by default right? that's how. unlock that preference pane, then select macOS and hit restart. from then on even if you manually boot Mint it should boot back up to macOS upon reboot. 

it's best to test that though, i'm not totally sure.

She/Her

11 minutes ago, Lemtea said:

When I had a triple boot (macos, windows, ubuntu) setup on my macbook i used rEFInd as a boot manager which allowed me to set a default boot partition. 

I originally had rEFInd, but uninstalled it as I didn't think it was possible to bypass it and boot straight to macos by default, bypassing the ui completely and to just boot into linux when I use the computer by just holding option on boot. Looking at the docs on the rEFInd site, I didn't really understand what was said there, so I could just be misinterpreting it

What you could do is set the default boot to macos then when you turn it on it will automatically boot to macos after a short period of time. I am not exactly sure why you would want to get rid of the ui.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO