Corsair TX650M Issue

Swegly
Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,
1 minute ago, Swegly said:

Damn, the system specs are the ones in my signature so Id probably have to spend too much on a temporary power supply :/

Ill see if I can do an RMA but if it will take more than a week Ill probably have to just buy a new one I guess

You have some options.

A spare PSU is always handy to have around, so buying one and using it while the RMA is going on, then keeping it as a back up is a good idea.

You could probably get by just fine with a 500W PSU and you're in CALI.  Is there a best buy near you?  They probably have one there.

Or, there is always the ol' "rent a PSU' where you buy, use and then return it after the RMA.  I'm not telling you to do that, but it's an option...

Every time I start my PC, the power supply makes this grinding noise for a few minutes and then stops. This just started happening just a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if someone knows about the corsair warranty and if they will replace it(bought like 1 year ago)?  My computer works just fine otherwise but I dont want the psu to fail and break everything else, so my other question is, would you avoid using the PC because of this or should I be ok?  Thanks 

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

3 minutes ago, Swegly said:

Every time I start my PC, the power supply makes this grinding noise for a few minutes and then stops. This just started happening just a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if someone knows about the corsair warranty and if they will replace it(bought like 1 year ago)?  My computer works just fine otherwise but I dont want the psu to fail and break everything else, so my other question is, would you avoid using the PC because of this or should I be ok?  Thanks 

https://support.corsair.com/

Start here and get an RMA number.  It should be under warranty.  Sounds like the fan bearing is going out maybe.

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Start here and get an RMA number.  It should be under warranty.  Sounds like the fan bearing is going out maybe.

ok thank you! may sound like a dumb question but I use my PC alot for work, so if I request an RMA would a new power supply be sent at the same time as mine is shipping to them?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Just now, Swegly said:

ok thank you! may sound like a dumb question but I use my PC alot for work, so if I request an RMA would a new power supply be sent at the same time as mine is shipping to them?

Unfortunately, probably not.  Any RMA i have done in the past has involved downtime.

What are the system specs?  Could you go buy a cheap PSU to keep the system up until they do the RMA and get you back a new one?

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Unfortunately, probably not.  Any RMA i have done in the past has involved downtime.

What are the system specs?  Could you go buy a cheap PSU to keep the system up until they do the RMA and get you back a new one?

Damn, the system specs are the ones in my signature so Id probably have to spend too much on a temporary power supply :/

Ill see if I can do an RMA but if it will take more than a week Ill probably have to just buy a new one I guess

Would it be a bad idea to open up the power supply myself to try and see where the fans grinding? 

1 minute ago, Swegly said:

You have some options.

A spare PSU is always handy to have around, so buying one and using it while the RMA is going on, then keeping it as a back up is a good idea.

You could probably get by just fine with a 500W PSU and you're in CALI.  Is there a best buy near you?  They probably have one there.

Or, there is always the ol' "rent a PSU' where you buy, use and then return it after the RMA.  I'm not telling you to do that, but it's an option...

8 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You have some options.

Thanks for the good ideas, Im going to consider which one to go with when I get the RMA requested. Ive got all kinds of stores around selling power supplies so shouldnt be an issue ?

21 hours ago, Swegly said:

You're asking if a one year old PSU with a seven year warranty is still under warranty?  Seriously?

You're in California.  Corsair's HQ and main RMA center is in California.  Just do the RMA and get a new PSU.

Sounds like the fan might be out of balance at lower RPMs.  Since the PSU works otherwise, you might ask Corsair to do an advance replacement. That's where they put a hold on your CC and send you a new PSU; then once you get it you return the one with the defective fan.

@Corsair Nick@Corsair Joseph

@Swegly our advanced RMA service is usually quick and helps prevent downtime.  If you have already submitted a support ticket, feel free to PM me the number and I'll reach out to our technical support team to look into it.

https://support.corsair.com

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out: