Try out Mikrotik

Ondrej P

So. I'v watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGq8uJSco1o

Just from that i can tell that they've go a lot of trouble managing their network. Im not trying to say that Anthony is bad. I think that for a company that size and for company that basically does'nt work without their network running at 100% all the time it would be nice to have someone who is really familiar with the hardware they're running and should be able to configure it from his memory. 

I'm suggesting that they should try some of Mikrotik's hw. 

I am a networking student. I have some experience wit Mikrotik and would recommend it over other brands.

For example: I think that Ubiquity is meh hardware but very nice and organized sw. BUT. It has SO few abilities. 

Cisco... oh boy. That is some high quality hw. BUT. The software is terrible. I mean that it does the routing, vLANing and overall working with packets very good, but the configuration is soooo terrible. 

And on that note, I would recommend Mikrotik. They have selection from home small unpowerful router to high-end enterprise 10 Gig networking and more. Their sw is veeery good. The configuration is done perfectly. When you youse ther winbox program you have it done in a moment. Winbox is a windows only gui configurator of ther RouterOS(OS that runs on Mikrotik devices) that makes it very easy. Also RouterOS provides all, but really all of the features, that LMG would need. 

PfSence is not bad, but again, the configuration is unclear in most parts and not understandable.

For example this: https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1072-1G-8Splus

It's kinda pricy, but nothing in comparison woth cisco. 

I am using this particular model in my lab in school and damn it's powerful.

1 hour ago, Ondrej P said:

Cisco... oh boy. That is some high quality hw

Not really, they historically lag behind the industry with hardware.  Software is what they are known for.

Mikrotik is cool and all but most of these type of posts are a result of being inexperienced.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

As my rant in the LLT Official section....They should stay clear of miktotik and go Fortinet.

Cisco and Mikrotik are our main deployments and with Anythony's severe lack of networking knowledge, mikrotik is the LAST vendor I would recommend. Mikrotik is very powerful and you can configure nearly any feature or aspect of the hardware you want but you need networking knowledge and a shit load of time to be able to do it.

Look at the trouble they are having with VLANs. VLANing is literally the worst aspect of Tiks and as an engineer took me 2 weeks to test and understand how mikrotik handles them and how to configure them properly. 

5 hours ago, Ondrej P said:

BUT. The software is terrible. I mean that it does the routing, vLANing and overall working with packets very good, but the configuration is soooo terrible. 

As you begin to move in your career and try different hardware, Cisco CLI make the most sense of any of its competitors. Simple and easy to understand. Mikrotik however make little sense in its configuration at times. 

RouterOS's GUI or winbox is good for most things but almost any layer 2 or 3 protocol has to be done in CLI.