Best cooling option for an I7-9700K?

Justinzonfire
Go to solution Solved by mxk,
Just now, Justinzonfire said:

So in theory, the radiator won't get hot enough that the air coming into the case will be hot correct? The 3 fans on the AIO will pull in and the Two on top and one on the back will push air out?

From what I get from this, yes. The point is to have cool air coming into the radiator to cool the water. Warmer air will come out of the radiator and then be pushed out by the other fans.

7 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

If the Corsair H80i can outpace it, I wouldn't compare it to a high end 360 rad

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

Are these fairly reputable citations? on here it looks like the NZXT Kraken X62 seems like a good fit

PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

Build Log found here:

Just now, Justinzonfire said:

Are these fairly reputable citations? on here it looks like the NZXT Kraken X62 seems like a good fit

Yes, both are very well respected sites.

Just now, ears_ears said:

Yes, both are very well respected sites.

so the x62 would be a really good fit yeah? other than the fact it sounds like an airplane taking off?

PC Set up 

Build Log found here:

11 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

IIRC it performs pretty badly for a 360mm AIO, in GN's testing the EVGA CLC 280 (280mm rad, I have one) was beating it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

IIRC it performs pretty badly for a 360mm AIO, in GN's testing the EVGA CLC 280 (280mm rad, I have one) was beating it. 

Do you know of a good 360MM AIO RGB one that would do the job?

PC Set up 

Build Log found here:

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If the Corsair H80i can outpace it, I wouldn't compare it to a high end 360 rad

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8540/corsair-h150i-pro-rgb-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html 360mm AIO, another one from Asetek

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Hydro_Series_H150i_Pro/6.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h150i_pro_review,12.html

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

The lead looks to be decent, the corsiar 240mm cooler in the second link you added. The asetek one is obviously gonna lag behind, like I said, a quality air cooler would match a huge, cheap water cooler, but a high quality 360 or 280 rad is still gonna be best (even if not by much)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The lead looks to be decent, the corsiar 240mm cooler in the second link you added. The asetek one is obviously gonna lag behind, like I said, a quality air cooler would match a huge, cheap water cooler, but a high quality 360 or 280 rad is still gonna be best (even if not by much)

What's the best option for me for a 360mm AIO on the high end? I might be an idiot but i think the case would look really good with the 3 fans being RGB but i can always replace the stock ones for others.

PC Set up 

Build Log found here:

2 minutes ago, Justinzonfire said:

What's the best option for me for a 360mm AIO on the high end? I might be an idiot but i think the case would look really good with the 3 fans being RGB but i can always replace the stock ones for others.

Corsiar H150i pro for 360mm, the fans are high quality so be sure to keep good RGB fans in mind if you were to replace them. Kraken x62 for 280mm aio, if you like.

Primary PC:

13 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Almost all 360mm/280mm AIOs are oem'd from Asetek. The h110i GT performs so well because its fans spin very fast also making it very loud (it also has 4 fans). 

Edit: it doesn't, I found no evidence other than Guru3D, outside variables such as ambient air temp could have affected this. 

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

Almost all 360mm/280mm AIOs are oem'd from Asetek. The h110i GT performs so well because its fans spin very fast also making it very loud (it also has 4 fans). 

Fairly certain Corsair coolers are not asetek, and neither are kraken (although the latter I'm not as sure).

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Fairly certain Corsair coolers are not asetek, and neither are kraken (although the latter I'm not as sure).

https://www.asetek.com/oems/where-to-buy/

Only Cooler Master and Deepcool make their own AIOs.

@mxk. @fasauceome

My plan is to buy the Cooler Master ml360r to go with the Coolermaster case I purchased in hopes the AIO will work with the RGB controller that comes with the AIO or case. 

Mount that on the front pulling air in, and the 3 RGB fans that come with the case, mount two on top and one on the back pushing out. I've linked the Case and cooler. Do you think that will work? do I need a special motherboard to support the RGB and Fans? I won't be overclocking

AIO: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1-MasterLiquid-Independently-Controlled/dp/B07DV29GYN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546295193&sr=8-7&keywords=coolermaster

Case: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MCB-B511D-KGNN-RGB-MasterBox-Systems/dp/B07H4V9T9R/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546295412&sr=8-2&keywords=mb511

PC Set up 

Build Log found here: