Turning off a DisplayPort monitor moves around my windows

kingmustard

I have three monitors; two connected via. DisplayPort, one via. HDMI.

When I turn off one of the monitors connected via. DisplayPort, the windows that were on it move to one of the other two displays.

Is there a way to stop this occurring?

It's frustrating because I often want to leave the house but not shut the PC down. Usually, this means simply turning off the monitors but the issue above makes this hassle.

There are no issues when I turn off the HDMI-connected monitor but my GTX 2080 only has one HDMI port.

I think you can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, so you can plug it on the HDMI on your monitor..

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

It is a Windows "feature" that I also find extremely annoying. It depends on how monitors look to the system when powered off, I believe there is a difference between connected-but-off and no monitor at all. When Windows thinks there is no monitor attached, it rearranged things. This even affects a single monitor attached.

I'm not sure the workaround I've used in the past would work with multiple monitors, but Windows essentially has a virtual desktop resolution for when a monitor is inactive. There is a way to edit registry to make this virtual size match the actual size, so it wont move icons around. Reason I think it might not work with multi-monitor is that there is no monitor present as far as the OS is concerned.

When I encountered this problem in the past others also suggest software that can pin windows to certain locations, but I never followed that up.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If the monitor has any "power saving" features, try turning them off.

Otherwise, don't use DisplayPort. Unfortunately this is a flaw of most DisplayPort monitors. Unlike DVI/HDMI, which can power the EDID chip from the source even if the display is off, so it can still recognize the monitor, DisplayPort does not do this, so when the monitor is powered off, the screen disconnects and Windows can no longer see it, and moves things around to avoid having all your windows "stuck" on a monitor that is no longer connected.

Some screens have a power-save-off mode where they basically just cut the image, but keep the electronics powered up so this does not happen, but depends on the monitor.

I've heard of this before.  I think what's happening is when you turn it off, it effectively disconnects it from the computer, so Windows of course moves all your windows off of that space that no longer exists.  If you find a solution, let me know xD  I might need it one day.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:31 AM, Constantin said:

I think you can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, so you can plug it on the HDMI on your monitor..

Do you think you could help me find one, please?

Most appear to be HDMI to DisplayPort, rather than DisplayPort to HDMI: eBay UK link.

10 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Most appear to be HDMI to DisplayPort, rather than DisplayPort to HDMI: eBay UK link.

Your terminology is backwards, adapters are specified as "<source> to <display>", the same direction the video is transmitted. A cable from DP computer to HDMI display is a DP to HDMI adapter.

13 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISPLAY-PORT-DP-TO-HDMI-MALE-LCD-PC-HD-TV-LAPTOP-AV-CABLE-ADAPTOR/263897582507?hash=item3d71858bab:m:myc2wtoJZtpmQ07cI4J437g:rk:2:pf:0

You plug this to the GPU displayport and then use a normal HDMI cable from the adapter to your monitor

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

14 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Your terminology is backwards, adapters are specified as "<source> to <display>", the same direction the video is transmitted. A cable from DP computer to HDMI display is a DP to HDMI adapter.

10 minutes ago, Constantin said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISPLAY-PORT-DP-TO-HDMI-MALE-LCD-PC-HD-TV-LAPTOP-AV-CABLE-ADAPTOR/263897582507?hash=item3d71858bab:m:myc2wtoJZtpmQ07cI4J437g:rk:2:pf:0

You plug this to the GPU displayport and then use a normal HDMI cable from the adapter to your monitor

Ooh, I was thinking it went on the monitor end, not the GPU end!

Thanks, guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I've now found out that G-Sync only works over DisplayPort, so one of these two adaptors I bought will have to be returned.

It means I can't begin turning off the center G-Sync monitor, or all my windows will move to one of the other two non-G-Sync HDMI monitors.

Oh well :(