Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hardware raid help requested

It been a while since I've turned to the forums for help but i'm thoroughly beaten this time. After 3 and a half hours of snooping amazon, newegg, and multiple other pc part websites I've just about had it. I'm soon going to make a upgrade to my pc storage. Buying a ssd for boot and commonly used files and then also buy a hardware raid controller for my two Wd blue 1tb hard drives to use raid zero for a bit better speed on the actual file system. The ssd was no problem planning on grabbing a Crucial BX500 2.5" 480GB. The raid controller on the other hand is just infuriating, and honestly my ineptitude at this is kinda embarrassing as someone who has been building computers for the past 3 and a half years. In short I'm asking for the collective knowledge of all you guys in the server section. I'm looking for an hardware raid card doesn't need to be super quick just enough to raid 0 2-3 normal hdd's. Price point is nothing above $60, and am looking for a product that I can easily find and install drivers for with windows 10 and that wont die within the first year or so of every day use. I'm sorry if this is a difficult order I just really don't know and am about at my wits end. Please be noted that if you think my price point it too low it can be negotiated also rebates on items (if you come across them) I'm more than willing to fool with.

Many thanks,

Unstoppablechickenx

32 minutes ago, Unstoppablechicken said:

It been a while since I've turned to the forums for help but i'm thoroughly beaten this time. After 3 and a half hours of snooping amazon, newegg, and multiple other pc part websites I've just about had it. I'm soon going to make a upgrade to my pc storage. Buying a ssd for boot and commonly used files and then also buy a hardware raid controller for my two Wd blue 1tb hard drives to use raid zero for a bit better speed on the actual file system. The ssd was no problem planning on grabbing a Crucial BX500 2.5" 480GB. The raid controller on the other hand is just infuriating, and honestly my ineptitude at this is kinda embarrassing as someone who has been building computers for the past 3 and a half years. In short I'm asking for the collective knowledge of all you guys in the server section. I'm looking for an hardware raid card doesn't need to be super quick just enough to raid 0 2-3 normal hdd's. Price point is nothing above $60, and am looking for a product that I can easily find and install drivers for with windows 10 and that wont die within the first year or so of every day use. I'm sorry if this is a difficult order I just really don't know and am about at my wits end. Please be noted that if you think my price point it too low it can be negotiated also rebates on items (if you come across them) I'm more than willing to fool with.

Many thanks,

Unstoppablechickenx

IT consultant & computer technician going on 11 years experience here. Unless you're getting a dedicated server / computer for a RAID-based backup / storage system, my recommendation is to NOT use hardware RAID (hardware RAID really doesn't exist anyway) and instead use a software-based drive pooling system that provides both redundancy AND striped reads from multiple disks. Why? Because recovering from a failed RAID array is often not worth the time, or is straight up impossible depending on your recovery plan.

The easiest way to do this on Windows is to setup Storage Spaces (although I'm not sure if they provide read striping for improved read speeds) or use software such as StableBit's DrivePool, as you can setup a software RAID 1/0 pool, offering duplicated data during writes for redundancy, and striped reads from multiple disks for improved read times, all with only having to worry about the disks themselves failing. (Instead of having to worry about the RAID controller also failing.)

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

hardware RAID really doesn't exist anyway

Don't say that to LSI/Avargo/Broadcom then ?

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

although I'm not sure if they provide read striping for improved read speeds

Yep that is a thing and rather nice, Mirror setups have twice the read throughput than write. Like most good software implementations it's mirror data chunks not disks and can read data anywhere it might be.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't say that to LSI/Avargo/Broadcom then ?

I mean, they're hardware cards alright. My issue is that if you didn't buy a spare card running the same firmware at the time, you may (in some rare cases) be unable to recover data because I've seen different firmware revisions suddenly be incompatible with rebuilding an array.

But technically speaking, they still need firmware to run the RAID, which is a type of software -- I supposed I'd call it true hardware RAID if the ROM were not upgrade-able, since that would help prevent corruption / firmware changes, but then again... that wouldn't be helpful for firmware bugfixes.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thank you for the reply Kirashi. I wasn't aware it was this easy to do software raid I have both drives in the pool now with read striping turned on so I assume this is effectively raid zero?