Securing an Ubuntu Server build from outside attacks

I'm currently in the process of upgrading an old computer to use as a home Plex media server, backup, torrent machine (not much seeding) and just trying to automate everything in the house.

I'm a complete Linux and Debian noob and I need suggestions on how to secure Linux server 12.04.3 LTS. I don't need to prevent users from doing sudo actions and such or accessing other's files. Everyone will have sudo access from the start and I will later learn simple local security and permissions to further simplify usage. For now, what I'm concerned about is outside attacks.

I need suggestions on having good security. The server will be running on one of the lower watt Haswell i3s so nothing too performance heavy please. I don't think we'll be using too much of it's resources though.

If you are experienced in this sort of thing you could maybe tell me a full setup to run?

Thanks

Already had that in another tab but approval from another user is good. It seems like a pretty detailed guide. I guess if my CPU usage goes too high I will have to just lower the security a bit. I highly doubt my server files will be destroyed the same day we get robbed or a computer HDD fails.

to be honest in the linux world things dont change much when it comes to security since they maintain all the programs upto date. and they cover the basics and give you an idea as to where or what you can do to secure your server.

if anything here are some more basics that you could look at http://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how-secure-ubuntu-1204-lts-server-part-1-basics

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

to be honest in the linux world things dont change much when it comes to security since they maintain all the programs upto date. and they cover the basics and give you an idea as to where or what you can do to secure your server.

if anything here are some more basics that you could look at http://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how-secure-ubuntu-1204-lts-server-part-1-basics

Yeah, thanks for the help  :)

Security is must important for the ubunto Because there are many cases of hacking and antivirus on it.