HELP! Memory Intensive Applications BSOD PC

Inferius

HELP! I am tearing my hair out at this. 

So whenever I say go to export a video out of Premiere, or do something somewhat memory intensive, my PC will BSOD with a memory related error code. it's usually "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" but ocasionally it's a page fault. Anyway that's all that will come up, and it doesn't point to a driver or anything.

So, memory issue probably, right? I get a new kit of RAM (currently have Corsair 32 GB (2x16) Vengeance RGB memory, tried getting GSkill TridentZ 32GB (4x8)) and trying that, but the same issue occured. Plus memory diagnostic didn't have any errors for either kit installed, and it survives AIDA 64 stress tests. And yes, the voltage and timings and everything are set properly in the BIOS, and everything like drivers is updated.

Leading me to today. I have reinstalled Windows 10, and tried both kits again, but with no luck trying to export out of Premiere.  It's not just Adobe  Premiere causing this either, Civ VI will also BSOD with the "IRQL" message. 

I'm slowly arriving at the unfortunate conclusion of it might be a MOBO issue, which is strange because it boots into OS just fine, and this seemingly happened all of a sudden. So I guess my next line of trouble shooting will be to swap RAM slots which I could have sworn I tried but I digress. My question when it comes to swapping RAM slots, is:

Would there be any performance difference? The motherboard (ASUS Maximus XI Hero) recommended using slots A.2 and B.2 (the 2nd and 4th slots respectively) so that's the way I had it configured. Would there be a performance difference in putting the two sticks in A.1 and B.1 (1st and 3rd) and it ends up working? To diagnose if one of the slots is somewhat faulty (is that even a possibility? I always thought that I wouldn't even be able to boot if a slot was faulty.) .

And then if that doesn't work, how easy would it be to check for bent pins? And should I consider reseating the CPU? Would that be the cause of any issues?

I want to exhaust every single troubleshooting possibility before having to RMA my motherboard. Thank you for any help.

If your RAM is showing fine during memory tests then it might be a video card driver issue or your video card.  Perhaps clean the pins on the GPU when you re-seat it and reinstall drivers or even revert back to the driver you had prior to the current one you're using now if it was updated recently.  

Also, using the other RAM slots will most likely make the problem worse if it doesn't simply just slow down your RAM.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Reaseating your CPU is always a good idea with problems like this. Nowadays CPU control the memory and a pin making bad contact can cause all kind of issues. Just take it out and visually check the pins on the MB with a bright light. 

You did not mention if you O/Céd your CPU? Make sure its at default (thats including any OC profiles your MB has)

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Reaseating your CPU is always a good idea with problems like this. Nowadays CPU control the memory and a pin making bad contact can cause all kind of issues. Just take it out and visually check the pins on the MB with a bright light. 

You did not mention if you O/Céd your CPU? Make sure its at default (thats including any OC profiles your MB has)

If these are memory errors, I wouldn't think the OC on the CPU would be causing it? But yeah the OC is on. Hmmmm I'll try with it off. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I've also tried the whole switch slots thing and that didn't work.

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

I reset the BIOS to defaults, and the RAM despite being labelled as 3000MHz defaulted to like 2133. If I were to manually set that back, or use XMP 2, would that have an affect?

5 minutes ago, Inferius said:

If these are memory errors, I wouldn't think the OC on the CPU would be causing it? But yeah the OC is on. Hmmmm I'll try with it off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Like i said, your CPU is controlling the memory. So if thats unstable you will also get memory problems with a few other things.

1 minute ago, Inferius said:

I reset the BIOS to defaults, and the RAM despite being labelled as 3000MHz defaulted to like 2133. If I were to manually set that back, or use XMP 2, would that have an affect?

Yes, always test at base level. Meaning everything default. Then turn back the OC stuff 1 by 1 till it goes wrong.

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Like i said, your CPU is controlling the memory. So if thats unstable you will also get memory problems with a few other things.

Oh yeah, it makes perfect sense but was something I was totally overlooking. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Yes, always test at base level. Meaning everything default. Then turn back the OC stuff 1 by 1 till it goes wrong.

Ok yep, it was in fact the OC causing the issues. Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, Inferius said:

Ok yep, it was in fact the OC causing the issues. Thanks for your help.

If you are going to OC again the simplest thing you can do to get better stability is to up the Vcore a bit more. But check some guides on what is recommend.

The OC profiles in the BIOS are a bit to stingy with that in some cases.