CPU's that are compatible with an old workstation (Intel X58)?

TekkyTG

I've been needing to upgrade my CPU for some time on my computer. It's a refurbished HP Z400 Workstation that I bought form eBay for 200$. I stuck a Kingston SSD and a GTX 1050 ti in it and it runs Minecraft at 300-500+ FPS and Fortnite runs medium settings pretty well. However, The CPU is only a cheap Intel Xeon W3520 and it only hits about 1.5-2.0 GHz in speed, causing me to have to set Fortnite at 30 FPS instead of 60+ because buildings won't load in before I've hit the ground, and they often never load in, for that matter. If I want to use 60 FPS I have to land somewhere where no one lands and then wait about 5 minutes for the terrain and the buildings to load in so I can get some loot and actually play the game. 30 FPS destroys my gameplay because other players can see me first, shoot first, build first, the whole bit. I am running an Intel X58/ICH10R Chipset, LGA 1366 motherboard, and I'm interested in what upgrades on the CPU I can get with that chipset, but I cannot find compatibility lists for it anywhere, and I don't trust myself enough yet to just order one relying on my skills to identify compatibility. I have 12gb of ram already (DDR3) and if I bought a new CPU it'd either be for my mother board or for DDR4/5, meaning I'd need a new board and new ram. My being a teenager and paying bills already, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on something like this, so that's why I'm thinking about keeping the mobo and ram for the time being. I'd like at least a 3.0 GHz or better CPU in the hopes of at least playing with 60 FPS.

Thanks!

I actually set up my system with X58 recently, and it's a good idea to get a cheap CPU off AliExpress or something because the Chinese server market usually empties it's stock frequently for upgrades.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, TechPrince said:

Thanks! That's very helpful.

No problem.

X5650s can be had for cheap on sites like eBay since companies upgrade their hardware regularly.

Tbh, for a board without bclk control the w3680 with throttlestop to increase the multi is probably the best pick. Should do 3.6+ Ghz even without voltage control. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Okay, thanks a ton you guys, I'm in a bind because even my brother who has 500+ wins says it's nearly impossible to get a win without camping most of the game, and he never was able to achieve a win on my computer even.