USB devices powered even after computer is shut down

Jstagzsr

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Deluxe

Keyboard: Corsair K55

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon

I assume it's a bios setting?

Even after I shut down my computer, if I accidentally bump any button on my keyboard or mouse, all the lights on that device will turn on. The lights stay off if I don't bump a button, but I want all devices completely shut down when my PC is shut down.. I imagine the life of said devices will be dramatically reduced if they have power 24/7 - 365..

Any idea of what to shut off? This motherboard has NFC and wireless charging which I never use but I assume the USB ports are always powered in case I want these devices to work even when the PC is off?

Idk.. but I want it off. Help!!!

Yes it's a bios setting. Should be called something to the effect of usb power S1/2/3/34/5 state.

-アパゾ

If you really want it OFF off, you have two main options:

1. Check the Power Supply. Most have a switch which will cut power to the PSU altogether. This means when you shut down your PC, you'll need to hit the power button at the back of the computer as well.

2. Plug your computer into a power strip or something similar. This is similar to #1, as pressing the power button on here will cut power to the computer altogether.

There are other things to check as well, such as whether Windows or a BIOS setting are involved in keeping power going. I'd start with shutting down the PSU after the OS has shut down first though.

Check the bios.

Some feature called Wake on Keyboard , Wake on Mouse will keep the ports powered so that the pc can start from keyboard press.

Some motherboards also have usb charge ports - some usb ports that are capable of more current and can charge things - the motherboard may leave those running 24/7 to allow you to charge things with the pc shut down. Again, in bios you should have a function to disable that functionality.

And then there's the stuff mentioned above.

You should be able to disable that, you certainly don't have to power off your system completely using the power switch on your power supply.

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

Check the bios.

Some feature called Wake on Keyboard , Wake on Mouse will keep the ports powered so that the pc can start from keyboard press.

Some motherboards also have usb charge ports - some usb ports that are capable of more current and can charge things - the motherboard may leave those running 24/7 to allow you to charge things with the pc shut down. Again, in bios you should have a function to disable that functionality.

And then there's the stuff mentioned above.

You should be able to disable that, you certainly don't have to power off your system completely using the power switch on your power supply.

Yes, this is what happens. Check bios and turn wake on keyboard and mouse off. Consider they will not be powered and won't wake your PC by typing, which for me is far more comfortable than pushing the on switch again.