internet security and their support issues

cretsiah

i'll try not to start a flame war here because im more interested in knowing if anyone has had similar issues, with other software companies.

for reference requirements this happened on a:

Win7 64-bit Home Premium (the one that comes with 32-bit biniaries and compatibilty mode)

8gig ram

1 terabyte spindal drive (seagate i think)

geforce nvidea GTX650 

running Nortons Internet Security Suite (supposedly fully updated)

Just before Christmas i had a couple of issues prop up so i contacted Norton Support to ask about them:

issue 1:

Actor PID: 916 C:\winodws\system32\svchost.exe

Target: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\current\controlset\enum\root\Legacy_BHDRVX64\0000\control

Action: Set Registry Key

issue 2:

Actor PID: 1832 C:\ProgramFiles\commonfiles\Microsoft shared\Clicktorun\officeclicktorun.exe

Target PID 916: C:\ProgramFiles(x86)Norton Security\Engine32\22.16.2.22\asOELnch.exe

The claimed Solution  was to do a remove and install:

the Tech had suggested at least one of these issues is an old one that was supposedly fixed (dont know which one). 

Tech wanted to do a Logmein.Rescue to clean/fix the system.

i said ok, let them have access to the system, supposedly did the uninstall and was requesting a reboot. 

HOWEVER : (next issue)

after the reboot, the Tech was supposed to be able to reconnect and complete the re-install. what actually happened

1) Logmein.Rescue wouldnt reconnect.

2) all browsers except for Internet Explorer V8 could not access the interenet.

3) could ping any site from command line.

4) nothing could be installed either from downloads or already existing in folders.

5) only non installed exe files (aka portable programs) would execute.

6) anything with a heavy java usage (aka other antivirus software and such like) could not connect to the interenet, when you ran their launchers.

By the way it only affected this one computer the other 6 computers were working still quite happily from downloading/playing games, searching the web, watching youtube.

The only solution that appeared to fix this dilema was to do a complete fdisk and re-install everything clean. 

im now trying to re-download all 400+gigs of games that i had on this system.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

You are the first person I've ever encountered to ever call tech support for any company other than Microsoft. My hat is off to you for having that kind of patience. :)

-KuJoe

yeh well, if the tech support actually new what they were doing, it would have been fine. 

Or at least talked you through what they were trying to do, it may have helped..... next time it will be via instruction only.

oh I havent re-installed nortons looking for something that may actually be able to deal with 32-64 combined systems (as i beleive this was the tech supports problem this computer wasnt a true 32-bit OR 64-bit only machine.

Why...are you using norton........

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

we hadnt had any problems till now

and i was more interested in if people could tell me what those issues are about?

Edited by cretsiah

The issue is that you're using a crap piece of software and should not have that installed in the first place.

There's a reason nobody uses norton in 2018.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That comment isnt really helpful....

I mean pretty much everything seems to be in an Alpha or Beta state on release right now or from this year. 

everything from windows to games and everything in between.

its kind of pathetic really, it suggests developers are getting lazy or incompetent, by your suggestion.

ogranisations expecting to get highly paid for their work shouldnt be releasing sub standard software, or expecting users to find all their issues free of charge, or because they havent done proper testing analysis. 

Edited by cretsiah