i7 2600k (not overclocked) bottleneck Radeon Rx 580 8Gb?

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,

Here is a decent price on a motherboard, but it is used.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFVV7EW5418

$125 with free shipping.

If you don't already pick yourself up a better cooler. A H212 will work just fine with that chip or maybe a H7. You should be able to easily hit 4.5ghz on that CPU via overclock... if it is a good chip then 4.8ghz for a daily driver is also a good option. I would start out just aiming for 4.5ghz as I don't really know any 2600k's that couldn't hit that range.

The only downside you will have with the 2600k is the fact it does not support pci-e 3.0, but unless you are moving to a very high end gpu this isn't going to be an issue. Pci-e 2.0 at 16x is equiv to Pci-e 3.0 8x. Which doesn't hamper most video cards more than a few fps on the high end.

I think the ultimate question is what is your current budget. If you have the budget for a full build then that might be the way to go. If you only want to spend the minimum amount then the motherboard now and saving for a new build in the next year or 2 might be your best bet. At the very least this will let you wait until the 7nm AMD products hit which I have a feeling will shake up the PC market and cause prices to come down considerably on consumer grade cpu's.

Hey guys, 

i wanted to upgrade my gaming pc a bit. I got a WQHD Display with AMD freesync for x-mes. I would like to get the Radeon Rx 580 8Gb. But my current system is a bit old. That's my system:

i7 2600k (not overclocked)

Geforce GTX 760 MSI

14 Gb DDR3 RAM 2x 4Gb 2x 3Gb 

860 evo  1 TB 6Gb/s

2 Tb Hard...

Mainboard : Peagatron 2ab6

700 W Be Quiet  

Ass you can see my mainboard is way out of time. It even bottlenecks my SSD. So I see two options here. Getting a new mainboard with an LGA1155 for the i7-2600k and the Rx 580 8Gb or building a hole new pc with new CPU, RAM, Mainboad, GPU. Remember that I will Game on the WQHD Display so I think the CPU wont bottleneck the GPU ass much as on HD. If you don't think that this would work well, I would go for:

Ryzen 5 2600x 

MSI B450M Gaming Plus 

G.Skill 16Gb DDR4-3000

Radeon Rx 580 8Gb

Maybe if I overclock the i7-2600k it will work? 

That's for you help guys. 

if u can find a reasonably priced motherboard, i would go with that. its the cheaper option, and the 2600k is a great overclocker.

Dont get me wrong, compared to current gen, it will hold back max framerates, but for the most part that will only really show its head in highly CPU dependant games, and wont stop you from getitng above 60 FPS, more so it will show significant differences when ur in the 100's of FPS.

Only go this route if u can indeed find a motherboard for a good price, otherwise building a new system would be the better choice.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Here is a decent price on a motherboard, but it is used.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFVV7EW5418

$125 with free shipping.

If you don't already pick yourself up a better cooler. A H212 will work just fine with that chip or maybe a H7. You should be able to easily hit 4.5ghz on that CPU via overclock... if it is a good chip then 4.8ghz for a daily driver is also a good option. I would start out just aiming for 4.5ghz as I don't really know any 2600k's that couldn't hit that range.

The only downside you will have with the 2600k is the fact it does not support pci-e 3.0, but unless you are moving to a very high end gpu this isn't going to be an issue. Pci-e 2.0 at 16x is equiv to Pci-e 3.0 8x. Which doesn't hamper most video cards more than a few fps on the high end.

I think the ultimate question is what is your current budget. If you have the budget for a full build then that might be the way to go. If you only want to spend the minimum amount then the motherboard now and saving for a new build in the next year or 2 might be your best bet. At the very least this will let you wait until the 7nm AMD products hit which I have a feeling will shake up the PC market and cause prices to come down considerably on consumer grade cpu's.