Good headphones and Microphone?

IBIubbleTea

Hey, I'm planning on getting a pair of headphones and a microphone to replace my headset.. My budget is around $300. I'm actually willing on waiting till it is like Black Friday and Christmas on Amazon for the deals. I plan on using the headphones for fps gaming, listening to music and whatever you can do with them.. :) The microphone is just for talking on Skype and recording audio for videos. Going to try some open headphones. I don't think 

My friend recommended me these.

Sennheiser HD 558

Sennheiser HD 518 

Sennheiser HD 598

Audio Technica AT2020USBPLUS Deluxe USB

What do you guys think of the headphones? Any others that are better? 

The microphone, I really like this one. Might just get it... 

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

Hey, I'm planning on getting a pair of headphones and a microphone to replace my headset.. My budget is around $300. I'm actually willing on waiting till it is like Black Friday and Christmas on Amazon for the deals. I plan on using the headphones for gaming, listening to music and whatever you can do with them.. :) The microphone is just for talking on Skype and recording audio for videos. Going to try some open headphones. I don't think 

My friend recommended me these.

Sennheiser HD 558

Sennheiser HD 518 

Audio Technica AT2020USBPLUS Deluxe USB

What do you guys think of the headphones? Any others that are better? 

The microphone, I really like this one. Might just get it... 

I can vouch for the mic being decent. You're gonna need a stand as well though. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Are you using Internet Explorer or something?

On topic... Don't know about headphones but a blue snowball for Skype and commentary is pretty much perfect

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

I dont know the mic but i can recommend to you these headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 its amazing for music if you like base and also probably one of the best headphones for fun gaming (not so much for competetive gaming though).

With 150$ for the Pro Version and 250$ for the Premium Version (Prices are from amazon.com) , so you save alot of money.

And instead of the Sennheiser HD 558 id recommend the HD 598's they are very good for music and also for gaming,but they dont have that much base as the DT 990 (can be a good thing or a bad thing).

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

I dont know the mic but i can recommend to you these headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 its amazing for music if you like base and also probably one of the best headphones for fun gaming (not so much for competetive gaming though).

With 150$ for the Pro Version and 250$ for the Premium Version (Prices are from amazon.com) , so you save alot of money.

And instead of the Sennheiser HD 558 id recommend the HD 598's they are very good for music and also for gaming,but they dont have that much base as the DT 990 (can be a good thing or a bad thing).

I'm looking into competitive gaming. Would the 598's be better? I might use the dac on the AT2020.

I'm looking into competitive gaming. Would the 598's be better? I might use the dac on the AT2020.

Yay the HD 598's are suppost to have a punchier and not so overwhelming base.

I tried the DT 990's myself in some CS:GO and if alot of shooting/flashing was going on it was a bit too loud/your own footsteps where also too loud.

I hate my self for giving them back though because they are so good at music and they are the most comfortable (defanatly more comfortable than the HD 598's)

headphones ever.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

For mostly gaming, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X, they have one of the best soundstages, which is good for positional audio in games. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Are you planning on going to lan events then? Because if you are then you don't want open headphones... you will hear the other few hundred to a thousand people in the room.

If not... then I'd suggest the HD 558s, they are fantastic open headphones with a huge soundstage that really improves the gaming experience in my opinion.

I'd get the HD 558s over the HD 598s as the only difference between the two is the price and that the 558s have a small piece of foam behind the drivers that is easily removable (videos all over youtube about this mod).

I have a pair of HD 558s and I love them :D

If you do plan on going to lan events then I'd suggest these since they are closed, foldable, and sound friggin awesome...

Are you planning on going to lan events then? Because if you are then you don't want open headphones... you will hear the other few hundred to a thousand people in the room.

If not... then I'd suggest the HD 558s, they are fantastic open headphones with a huge soundstage that really improves the gaming experience in my opinion.

I'd get the HD 558s over the HD 598s as the only difference between the two is the price and that the 558s have a small piece of foam behind the drivers that is easily removable (videos all over youtube about this mod).

I have a pair of HD 558s and I love them :D

If you do plan on going to lan events then I'd suggest these since they are closed, foldable, and sound friggin awesome...

Not going to any lan events.. I'm not that popular.. ):

Earlier I asked my friend about the 598s because he has a pair. He said, "They don't sound great without a decent amp though" I guess I should get the 558s.

Are the 558s any good for fps gaming? (Not sure if your a gaming though..)

Earlier I asked my friend about the 598s because he has a pair. He said, "They don't sound great without a decent amp though" I guess I should get the 558s.

558's are next to identical to the 598.

And they will function just fine of onboard. 

558's are next to identical to the 598.

And they will function just fine of onboard. 

I'm planning on using the dac on the AT2020. I think it's better than using on board.

I'm planning on using the dac on the AT2020. I think it's better than using on board.

You can't use a dac on a mic, you can't use a headphone amp one either. 

If you want a AT2020 to work for you, you'll need a XLR to usb adapter that supplies Phantom power. 

The Blue Icicle is probably the cheapest option.

You can't use a dac on a mic, you can't use a headphone amp one either. 

If you want a AT2020 to work for you, you'll need a XLR to usb adapter that supplies Phantom power. 

The Blue Icicle is probably the cheapest option.

Ever mind about that. 

The AT2020 has a microphone port thingy, is it better to plug the headphones in that or use the onboard?

I can also vouch for the HD558s, they're pretty damned good for FPS games, I play everything and anything, and positional sound is pretty damned good.

My onboard (asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard) couldn't drive them to the levels I wanted, but noting that, I listen to music much higher than the majority of people I know, so take that into account, I'm just using a stereo amp to drive them until my FiiO arrives, the audio levels for gaming on on onboard is fine for me :)

#!

Ever mind about that. 

The AT2020 has a microphone port thingy, is it better to plug the headphones in that or use the onboard?

Thats for monitoring, not a headphone out. 

The Sennheisers do sound great I used my PC360's for awhile and really enjoyed them. I would say (not an audiophile) they are a quite flat sounding headset, maybe a little lacking in the bass. Just moved to the DT990's ,250ohm version, and they have considerably more bass than the PC360's which I am enjoying more for gaming. I will say though to me so far the High's on the DT990s can be fatiguing at times even piercing if you start to crank the volume up. For a mic the Blue Yeti is great option as well.

Thats for monitoring, not a headphone out. 

For many USB microphones with a monitoring feature I believe Windows will recognize it as an audio device and you can then use it as audio out.

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

For many USB microphones with a monitoring feature I believe Windows will recognize it as an audio device and you can then use it as audio out.

Not that you would want to even remotely think about that. 

Not that you would want to even remotely think about that. 

Tried it with a Yeti in the past; it sounded better than the standard audio out on the laptop I was using it on, so there's at least that. At home, I have my Focusrite but that's obviously not a good comparison.

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro