Asus GL75VW CPU overheating under stress

iCheezedYou

I bought my gaming laptop (I like the mobility of it for LANs) like 3 years ago and never really had an issue with it until I started playing F1 2018 which is kinda the first graphically intensive game I've ran on it.

Basically at random times during the race, my game would freeze for a solid 5-10 seconds then resume as if nothing happened, or would just straight up crash and I would have to reboot my laptop to get everything working again. I'm pretty sure this is related to the CPU overheating because when I checked using a program called 'Core Temp', it said my GPU 50C & all cores between 49-58C at idle, then when running F1 2018 it said GPU 75C & all cores around 83C, and finally when I put a massive fan beside my setup, it said GPU 73C, Core #0,3 ~85C, Core #1 87C, Core #2 78C.

I run F1 2018 on mid settings and don't have any frame issues minus this.

Is there any chance I can fix this without paying whatever ridiculous rates Canada Computers is charging or should I just bite the bullet and buy a PC with decent cooling?

SPECS:

Model: Asus GL75VW-DH71

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz Skylake

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL752VW (U3E1)

GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc)

5 minutes ago, iCheezedYou said:

I bought my gaming laptop (I like the mobility of it for LANs) like 3 years ago and never really had an issue with it until I started playing F1 2018 which is kinda the first graphically intensive game I've ran on it.

Basically at random times during the race, my game would freeze for a solid 5-10 seconds then resume as if nothing happened, or would just straight up crash and I would have to reboot my laptop to get everything working again. I'm pretty sure this is related to the CPU overheating because when I checked using a program called 'Core Temp', it said my GPU 50C & all cores between 49-58C at idle, then when running F1 2018 it said GPU 75C & all cores around 83C, and finally when I put a massive fan beside my setup, it said GPU 73C, Core #0,3 ~85C, Core #1 87C, Core #2 78C.

I run F1 2018 on mid settings and don't have any frame issues minus this.

Is there any chance I can fix this without paying whatever ridiculous rates Canada Computers is charging or should I just bite the bullet and buy a PC with decent cooling?

SPECS:

Model: Asus GL75VW-DH71

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz Skylake

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL752VW (U3E1)

GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc)

It might just not be able to Handle the heat for the time, you could always make sure the inside is clean and give it a blow out incase dust in heat syncs and could maybe even try new thermal paste. Even at that I wouldn’t think it would freeze maybe slow down but freeze seems odd

9 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

It might just not be able to Handle the heat for the time, you could always make sure the inside is clean and give it a blow out incase dust in heat syncs and could maybe even try new thermal paste. Even at that I wouldn’t think it would freeze maybe slow down but freeze seems odd

I remember checking a while ago just for the hell of it and it seemed pretty clean. Getting new thermal paste will probably be a bit of a challenge because the CPU is on the opposite side of what I can see when I open it. I'll see what I can do tomorrow morning. Thanks!