Need a router recomendation

YellowJersey

Merry Christmas everyone,

So I rent out a friend's basement and our current wifi set up has the combo modem-router on the second floor. Unfortunately, we can't have the router on the main floor. It works alright, but it seems that only one person can use the 2.4GHz at any one time, even for relatively low intensity stuff. There are three of us in the house, so one person using the 2.4 and the other using the 5GHz is less than ideal. I'm fairly certain that our internet connection is fine as connecting via ethernet never has a problem. My suspicion is that it's the shitty combo modem-router that was provided by our ISP. I've tinkered with the settings on that thing quite a bit, but nothing seems to help. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a stand-alone router within the $100-$200 CAD range.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I'd probably reccomend the Asus RT-AC68U - it's at the higher end of your budget but has a decent range from what I've heard and supports AiMesh (seen here) so could allow you to extend further down the line with more APs. It's fairly decent in NewEgg right now.

That being said, a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/AC2300 also fits within your budget and is a solid choice too. Good luck in your search.

12 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Merry Christmas everyone,

So I rent out a friend's basement and our current wifi set up has the combo modem-router on the second floor. Unfortunately, we can't have the router on the main floor. It works alright, but it seems that only one person can use the 2.4GHz at any one time, even for relatively low intensity stuff. There are three of us in the house, so one person using the 2.4 and the other using the 5GHz is less than ideal. I'm fairly certain that our internet connection is fine as connecting via ethernet never has a problem. My suspicion is that it's the shitty combo modem-router that was provided by our ISP. I've tinkered with the settings on that thing quite a bit, but nothing seems to help. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a stand-alone router within the $100-$200 CAD range.

You could also call your ISP and complain. They will either provide you a newer and better gateway device or they can at the least replace that one. Could be a bad unit. I would personally try this first before spending money on a new router.

12 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

You could also call your ISP and complain. They will either provide you a newer and better gateway device or they can at the least replace that one. Could be a bad unit. I would personally try this first before spending money on a new router.

I tried it with my own modem-router that's the same make and model as the ISP-provided one.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

8 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

I tried it with my own modem-router that's the same make and model as the ISP-provided one.

Did you call to see if they have a never version available?