GTX 1070?

Carsoncampbell1

I've been eyeing some used GTX 1070's for a while now, I decided to wait till after Christmas to pick one up since people could be getting rid of their old ones to grab the new RTX cards. But now I'm second guessing myself since I read that one of the new Navi GPUs (which may be released early next year) could be around $250 and be better than the RTX 2070. so I was wondering if I should take a risk and wait till the Navi cards to come out and pray that the rumors were true or should I just buy the 1070.

can you wait? the used market is always going to be around. there is almost always something just around the corner but AMD have always been uber hyped aswell no matter the performance 

looks at vega and FX...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

can you wait? the used market is always going to be around. there is almost always something just around the corner but AMD have always been uber hyped aswell no matter the performance 

looks at vega and FX...

yea I guess I'll wait till CES to confirm, or disprove, the rumors and get a semi-firm release date. my 970 will live to see another year ?

You better not make purchasing decision based on rumor and promise. We all saw what happened to Vega and RTX.

But in any case, if you do find a good deal of last gen high-end/flagship in the used market and you think it is reasonable, take it.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 minute ago, Carsoncampbell1 said:

yea I guess I'll wait till CES to confirm, or disprove, the rumors and get a semi-firm release date. my 970 will live to see another year ?

970 still does well in 1080p games, so if you arent stepping up to 1440p or high refreshrate an upgrade isnt really worth it anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I was looking at a G1 gaming priced at $218, that's why I asked if I should wait because that's a great price (I think)

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

970 still does well in 1080p games, so if you arent stepping up to 1440p or high refreshrate an upgrade isnt really worth it anyway

I'm planning on buying a new higher refresh rate monitor real soon so I thought I might as well get a new GPU (i also have 2 monitors)

2 minutes ago, Carsoncampbell1 said:

(i also have 2 monitors)

and two monitors were fine off a 8800GT made in 2008 or something too

2 minutes ago, Carsoncampbell1 said:

I'm planning on buying a new higher refresh rate monitor real soon so I thought I might as well get a new GPU

get the monitor first and then see how well the card holds up

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

and two monitors were fine off a 8800GT made in 2008 or something too

get the monitor first and then see how well the card holds up

Totally agree. But, if he finds a really good deal that he thinks isn't gonna stay, he could just grab the card first. The 970 is probably not gonna hold up to well in 1080p high refreshrate.

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Even a 780 still does well at 1080p, and those are usually cheaper than 970s in my experience.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!