Very low budget upgrade help

I don't do any editing or videos, this is strictly a gaming rig. In the past year I have felt my computer isn't keeping up with some of the newer games that I would like to enjoy on high settings 1080p. I currently have FX-6300 3.5GHz, 8GB DDR3 667MHz (Mixed 2 sticks), ECS A960M-M4 Motherboard dual channel, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, R9 290X Lighting 4GB and Corsair RM850X 80 Plus Gold Power Supply. I have thought about it for months to what I need to upgrade. I have a very low budget and was wondering if I should just double up my ram to 16GB DDR3 or stick with this computer for another year (probably take me that long to save up for Ryzen/DDR4 upgrade). Would just doubling the ram for now have any effect?

I wouldn't invest any more money in to the FX platform, however if you don't have the funds for a platform upgrade and you are running in to RAM limitations that is affecting performance, you should be able to find some cheap 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks on ebay/craigslist for fairly cheap, probably $10 each. Though you would still be limited by your CPU.

8 minutes ago, SpectralVoids said:

I currently have FX-6300 3.5GHz, 8GB DDR3 667MHz (Mixed 2 sticks), ECS A960M-M4 Motherboard dual channel, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, R9 290X Lighting 4GB and Corsair RM850X 80 Plus Gold Power Supply.

I think saving up for a new CPU, motherboard and memory would be the best way to go. It will cost a bit more, but it will give you the best performance upgrade. You'll need to save up around $350 for a Ryzen 2600 + B450 Motherboard + 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $154.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $98.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $353.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-25 00:18 EST-0500  

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

get intel. pure gaming performance *currently* is better in intel. i suggest i5-8400 for best bang for buck

14 minutes ago, SpectralVoids said:

What's the budget?

Most likely just replace your CPU with a very cheap used i7+working motherboard if you find one for like $150 or less

or just spend like $250 ish on a Ryzen 3 CPU with an ASrock Pro 4 and 8GBs of DDR4 memory

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, TheShawnMiranda said:

For $400 to $500 your best bet would probably be a used 6700K, Z170 board and 16Gigs DDR4 RAM. Solely in terms of raw gaming performance that is. This also depends on what games you play. So please take that into consideration before picking a platform. For reliability I'd personally go with a new Ryzen build but I don't know how much of a difference it will make on your R9 GPU.

11 minutes ago, SpectralVoids said:

Probally around 400$ to 500$ budget.

Just get an R5 2600 + 16GBs of 3000mhz DDR4, easily the best modern/new thing for the money

also gives you can upgrade path until 2020..though you'll probably end up with a new motherboard in the future anyways.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TMp66s
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TMp66s/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.86 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-25 00:39 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Ok. I thank everyone for all your help! I will wait and upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/Memory instead of just doing ram now. Thanks again!

1 minute ago, SpectralVoids said:

Ok. I thank everyone for all your help! I will wait and upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/Memory instead of just doing ram now. Thanks again!

oh ya and Ryzen 3000 is likely being announced at CES in janurary, supposed to have a 6c/12t CPU at $99, MAY hit 5ghz

Spoiler