[PROBLEM] instability after installing two more ram sticks.

As the title entails. my pc (specs below) started crashing after i installed an extra set of 2x4gb sticks of hyperx fury 1866mhz. Which is very weird considering my pc has crashed twice in the past 4 years. twice it acted like a psu issue by just powering off my pc, then a bsod. took the sticks out and now it's fine. Defiantly a ram issue i just don't know what the issue is.

Specs:

i5 4690

gtx 1060 6gb

msi z97 gaming 3

2x4gb 1866mhz hyperx fury (aside from the new sticks)

hyperx ssd, wd 1tb, segate 2tb

corsair cx450m

nzxt s340 (the stupid ass original)

Extra sticks does increase the loading on the memory controller. Maybe this pushes it past the limit in your case. Assuming you are/were running 1866, you can try backing off to 1600 with all the sticks in place. The other option is to fiddle with voltages but I'm not that familiar with DDR3. If it was DDR4 I'd look to bump up VCCIO and VCCSA. It helps for testing purposes if you can find a way to make the system crash quickly so you can check of changes made a difference. Something like either aida64 mem only stress test, prime95 with lots of ram selected, or memtest.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, JJJOOOEEE said:

As the title entails. my pc (specs below) started crashing after i installed an extra set of 2x4gb sticks of hyperx fury 1866mhz. Which is very weird considering my pc has crashed twice in the past 4 years. twice it acted like a psu issue by just powering off my pc, then a bsod. took the sticks out and now it's fine. Defiantly a ram issue i just don't know what the issue is.

Specs:

i5 4690

gtx 1060 6gb

msi z97 gaming 3

2x4gb 1866mhz hyperx fury (aside from the new sticks)

hyperx ssd, wd 1tb, segate 2tb

corsair cx450m

nzxt s340 (the stupid ass original)

It's possible it could be a memory controller issue, I do recall some of the older Intel CPU's having weak memory controllers that just kinda give up with more/faster memory. I would try reinstalling the CPU just in case it was a bad mount that has only now reared it's head. If one or two of the pins aren't making a good connection it could cause memory slots to not work or just have a glitchy like connection to the CPU. That probably isn't it but it shouldn't hurt to inspect the slot for bent pins.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Extra sticks does increase the loading on the memory controller. Maybe this pushes it past the limit in your case. Assuming you are/were running 1866, you can try backing off to 1600 with all the sticks in place. The other option is to fiddle with voltages but I'm not that familiar with DDR3. If it was DDR4 I'd look to bump up VCCIO and VCCSA. It helps for testing purposes if you can find a way to make the system crash quickly so you can check of changes made a difference. Something like either aida64 mem only stress test, prime95 with lots of ram selected, or memtest.

i've just dialled them back to 1600 and i can mix a 48 track song just fine now (probably more of a stress test than many games) and it seems pretty stable, i'll close the thread if it stays this way by tomorrow. i didn't even consider the controller thanks dude.

1 hour ago, JacobeeGames said:

It's possible it could be a memory controller issue, I do recall some of the older Intel CPU's having weak memory controllers that just kinda give up with more/faster memory. I would try reinstalling the CPU just in case it was a bad mount that has only now reared it's head. If one or two of the pins aren't making a good connection it could cause memory slots to not work or just have a glitchy like connection to the CPU. That probably isn't it but it shouldn't hurt to inspect the slot for bent pins.

see above

9 hours ago, JJJOOOEEE said:

see above

The OP must have posted that while I was typing and I didn't see it.