Loose data cable, is it supposed to be like this?

So it says loose cable but I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my hard drive. So the data cable that connects to my hard drive is super loose (the end plugged into the hard drive). If I pick up my hdd with the cable dangling below it and gently wriggle the hdd the cable will fall out. I tried putting the same connector in my mother board and it clipped in fine. I'm using a Seagate barracuda 2.5" drive. I'm wondering if it's not supposed to clip in since it would normally go in a laptop?

Just now, Slottr said:

Get a different sata cable, it should click and lock the cable into the drive.

My motherboard came with 4 sata cables, it's the same story with all of them :/

Just now, Snipergod87 said:

Not all SATA drives especially 2.5" ones have support for locking connectors.

So... Electrical tape?

I wouldn't really call it loose if you have to suspend the whole drive and wiggle it to get it to fall out.  You could electrical tape it in, but I don't see why you should have to.

11 minutes ago, Swarlos said:

I wouldn't really call it loose if you have to suspend the whole drive and wiggle it to get it to fall out.  You could electrical tape it in, but I don't see why you should have to.

No, I'm holding the drive and the cable is dangling and the weight of the cable (<1ft) is putting it out of place. When I try and press the cable down flat against the case to put the panel on it starts to come out of the drive

You could try messing around with wire ties so that the cable is already locked in place before pressing the panel on it.  There's also a precedent for using hot glue to keep the connector in place, but I haven't ever done it so someone else may be able to help you with that.