Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SLOW INTERNET!!!!! HELP!!!!

Cpanza1

My internet is pretty slow and very spotty it doesnt reach my room so we got a network extender, I think our router is pretty good it's a netgear nighthawk x6 r8000 and our modem is like an at&t one that we got for free I think, and it's pretty old so I'm not sure if it's our router or the fact that we have a free router what should I do???? Or is it just my own network adapter for my computer?? Should I get a new modem, router, or network adapter for my computer and the network adapter is a netgear nighthawk AC1900

4 minutes ago, Cpanza1 said:

pretty slow

Step 1: What speed are you paying for?

Step 2: What speed are you getting at your PC?

Step 3: Can you plug your PC into the router directly (aka, no wireless, only wired) and see if it improves anything?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

5 minutes ago, Cpanza1 said:

My internet is pretty slow and very spotty it doesnt reach my room so we got a network extender, I think our router is pretty good it's a netgear nighthawk x6 r8000 and our modem is like an at&t one that we got for free I think, and it's pretty old so I'm not sure if it's our router or the fact that we have a free router what should I do???? Or is it just my own network adapter for my computer?? Should I get a new modem, router, or network adapter for my computer and the network adapter is a netgear nighthawk AC1900

well first, run network speed tests do about 5 so you can see if the speed your getting is consistent or spotty. If its consistently slow or spotty then the low end modem might be your problem. check the rated speed its able to reach.

28 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

well first, run network speed tests do about 5 so you can see if the speed your getting is consistent or spotty. If its consistently slow or spotty then the low end modem might be your problem. check the rated speed its able to reach.

I can tell you now it's very spotty because I'll have 40 ping on discord and all the sudden all have 300 and full red bars

39 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Step 1: What speed are you paying for?

Step 2: What speed are you getting at your PC?

Step 3: Can you plug your PC into the router directly (aka, no wireless, only wired) and see if it improves anything?

We pay for 1000 mbps and on my pc I can download stuff perfectly fine but gaming and using discord is very spotty like in csgo for example I could play for 2 hrs without a problem then I would start getting connection interrupted disconnecting in 30 secs over and over again and I cant plug it in I'm pretty far away from the router

16 minutes ago, Cpanza1 said:

We pay for 1000 mbps and on my pc I can download stuff perfectly fine but gaming and using discord is very spotty like in csgo for example I could play for 2 hrs without a problem then I would start getting connection interrupted disconnecting in 30 secs over and over again and I cant plug it in I'm pretty far away from the router

You have other people sharing the connection?

That will cause issues right there

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You have other people sharing the connection?

That will cause issues right there

Yeah my brother and 2 others but they dont use much

2 hours ago, Cpanza1 said:

Yeah my brother and 2 others but they dont use much

Ok, so at your computer, running wireless, how fast is your connection?

Also, how much stuff is in the way between your computer and the main modem/router?

How old is the house/apt?

8 hours ago, Cpanza1 said:

Not to be the mean one here again. But this is very little information. Try giving information like this when you have networking issues.

• Internet speed you pay for: e.g 1000Mb
  • Internet speed you get on your computer: E.g maxing out at X Mb
  • Define if this is internally or externally e.g Discord, downloading is normally externally.
  • Since you are using extender, how far away is this from your router and how far is the extender from your machine.

To give some simple answers. You really want to use access points instead of extenders. As these get a direct point from your router. It's not "amplifying" the current WiFi connection.