Thinking of ram upgrade

I have a ryzen 3 2200g on an ab350 gaming WiFi motherboard from gigabyte. The motherboard has only two dimm slots and due to the apu taking up 2 gb of my ram for vram I was wondering if I could mix an 8 go with a 4 go and if possible do they need to be of the same speed thx 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

the sticks need to be at the same capacity. while mixing ramstick of different capacities is possible, they often take the capacity of the smaller stick or will run in single-channel, something  you dont want with an APU

you should be doing 2 8gb sticks in that build if you want more ram. running 4GB and  an 8GB stick will yield poor results. how much ram and what config are you using?

also those 2GB of ram are virtually allocated.

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

the sticks need to be at the same capacity. while mixing ramstick of different capacities is possible, they often take the capacity of the smaller stick or will run in single-channel, something  you dont want with an APU

you should be doing 2 8gb sticks in that build if you want more ram. running 4GB and  an 8GB stick will yield poor results. how much ram and what config are you using?

Right now I have 8 gb but the system uses 2 of this for vram as I don’t have a gpu so the system only registers 6 gb of ram and I just wanted to up the available to 8 for gaming as my FPS tends to be unstable with games that demand 8 gb of ram

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

It sounds like he's trying to scrape as much performance as he can on a tight budget.  I know the conventional wisdom is to have RAM be identical in both slots for best performance, but if he's maxing out his RAM allocation right now it's my understanding that his cheapest way of improving his situation is to mix 4+8GB RAM even if it runs single channel.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

If you have the 8GB stick already on hand, assuming the speeds and timings line up, I don't see the harm in plugging it in and running a memtest to see if it works.

If you're planning on buying a new 8GB stick, you might be better served spending money on a discrete GPU instead.

Just now, Swarlos said:

It sounds like he's trying to scrape as much performance as he can on a tight budget.  I know the conventional wisdom is to have RAM be identical in both slots for best performance, but if he's maxing out his RAM allocation right now it's my understanding that his cheapest way of improving his situation is to mix 4+8GB RAM even if it runs single channel.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

If you have the 8GB stick already on hand, assuming the speeds and timings line up, I don't see the harm in plugging it in and running a memtest to see if it works.

If you're planning on buying a new 8GB stick, you might be better served spending money on a discrete GPU instead.

judging by the build he describes he is using it for gaming. in which case anything but dualchannel is un-acceptable.

he could also drop rammusage by the APU if he isnt gaming. in which case he can save up to 16GB. 

any GPU worth buying is 150$

16GB of 3000mhz Ram is 105$

if he can and needs a GPU, offcourse go for it. otherwise saving for the Ram is better

47 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

judging by the build he describes he is using it for gaming. in which case anything but dualchannel is un-acceptable.

he could also drop rammusage by the APU if he isnt gaming. in which case he can save up to 16GB. 

any GPU worth buying is 150$

16GB of 3000mhz Ram is 105$

if he can and needs a GPU, offcourse go for it. otherwise saving for the Ram is better

For the discrete gpu how much vram could I get for 200.as I was looking up on Newegg there were some rx5~~ that we’re around that price with 8gb by some weird companies I’ve never heard of like xfx and others 

Just now, Moonman21 said:

For the discrete gpu how much vram could I get for 200.as I was looking up on Newegg there were some rx5~~ that we’re around that price with 8gb by some weird companies I’ve never heard of like xfx and others 

Also the ram has to be ddr4 and the 8gb 3200mhz that I have in my system cost me 105 so I’m not sure on that 16 gb for 105 price maybe I’m wrong idk

1 minute ago, Moonman21 said:

you wont get much more than 16 for 200. you can almost get 32GB.

if you are gaming, grab an rx 580 from XFX. XFX makes good cards

Just now, GoldenLag said:

you wont get much more than 16 for 200. you can almost get 32GB.

if you are gaming, grab an rx 580 from XFX. XFX makes good cards

Thx for the help

1 minute ago, Moonman21 said:

Also the ram has to be ddr4 and the 8gb 3200mhz that I have in my system cost me 105 so I’m not sure on that 16 gb for 105 price maybe I’m wrong idk

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qLkj4D/geil-evo-spear-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-gsb416gb3000c16adc

drr4 3000 for 105$

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nqp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvrb

drr4 3200 for 130$

prices have changed recently