Best phone around 300$?

So I've recently been looking for a new phone, but I don't wanna spend a lot on it. I was thinking 300 ish gives me a fair amount of options. but I've run into some issues. for 300 you are either getting brand new low tier phones or used/refurb that is 2-3 generations old. so my question is what is the best phone I can get for 300? and are refurbished/used worth it?

16 minutes ago, f1cringe said:

Used S8 from ebay probably

just find a seller that offers quality choice and go with good or better

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

43 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

btw, i just got a mi 8, it might be outside of your budget, but it's worth it to at least look

yeah just a little bit, I mean I have enough but with 5g just around the corner I only really need a phone to last me a year until 5g phones are more of an actual thing.

38 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Used S8 from ebay probably

just find a seller that offers quality choice and go with good or better

I actually have been thinking about this one for a while now, so I guess it's not that stupid of an idea if someone agrees with me.

Just now, f1cringe said:

I actually have been thinking about this one for a while now, so I guess it's not that stupid of an idea if someone agrees with me.

I just wouldn't go below a snapdragon 835 phone, you can get a list of them from GSMarena, but the S8 is just a safe bet

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, f1cringe said:

yeah just a little bit, I mean I have enough but with 5g just around the corner I only really need a phone to last me a year until 5g phones are more of an actual thing.

well, chinese phones don't really keep their value...

no android phone keep their value tbh. Maybe Oneplus (however, i wouldn't really pay more for a used Oneplus 3, than i would for a Galaxy S7 Edge.... ), or Pixel, but both cases depends on the person.

Just looking at MSRP and for how much Google sells them is no indicator. I wouldn't pay more than 400-500 bucks for a Pixel 2 XL if i were interested. google (germany) has the Pixel 2 XL for 939€ which is WAY above the actual value of the phone, considering a brandnew 549€ Oneplus 6t is pretty much better in almost anything, except Camera.

Android phones can be replaced by other Android phones, that's why ALL their values drop, and their value will literaly NEVER be able to stay at a similar level as an iPhone can.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

no android phone keep their value tbh. Maybe Oneplus (however, i wouldn't really pay more for a used Oneplus 3, than i would for a Galaxy S7 Edge.... ), or Pixel, but both cases depends on the person.

Just looking at MSRP and for how much Google sells them is no indicator. I wouldn't pay more than 400-500 bucks for a Pixel 2 XL if i were interested. google (germany) has the Pixel 2 XL for 939€ which is WAY above the actual value of the phone, considering a brandnew 549€ Oneplus 6t is pretty much better in almost anything, except Camera.

Android phones can be replaced by other Android phones, that's why ALL their values drop, and their value will literaly NEVER be able to stay at a similar level as an iPhone can.

which actually had me thinking about an iPhone, even though I'll probably end up hating it, at least ill get way better software support for the 1-2 years ill have it.

Which doesn't help you, if you don't really like the OS itself ^^ Even with 4 more updates, it won't get diffent ^^ Don't let this influence you too much, and chose what you prefer more.

By the time a modern Phone is replaced, it won't be much worth anyway.

Just now, Darkseth said:

Which doesn't help you, if you don't really like the OS itself ^^ Even with 4 more updates, it won't get diffent ^^ Don't let this influence you too much, and chose what you prefer more

although that's the thing I'm not sure if I will hate it enough for it to not be worth it. for some context im 16 so I'm not like super concerned about the social status that comes with having an iPhone, but I also am. and basically, I just need somebody to talk me down from getting one and stop being a normie.

9 minutes ago, f1cringe said:

which actually had me thinking about an iPhone, even though I'll probably end up hating it, at least ill get way better software support for the 1-2 years ill have it.

Screw that, can't easily run emulators and other things like you can with android, or plug in flash drives, ect.

the iphone's value is entirely artificial, worst case scenario just unlock the bootloader on your phone and install any compatible updated OS.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Screw that, can't easily run emulators and other things like you can with android

the iphone's value is entirely artificial, worst case scenario just unlock the bootloader on your phone and install any compatible updated OS.

wait you can run os on android? I'm not super new to tech but I've never really thought of doing that I guess. And honestly I kinda just want ios just for facetime because most of the people I talk to aren't savvy enough just to get like google duo.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Screw that, can't easily run emulators and other things like you can with android, or plug in flash drives, ect.

Which are just things YOU personally prefer.

Many people don't care about emulators. Even i don't, because older titles play like garbage (in MY opinion) without real buttons.

Or even flashing another OS. it's not like basic things will work better than (for most. I'm not talking about the tiny little niche called tech-geeks).

On the other hand: What if someone prefers iOS? What if someone has a macbook (because it does run better than Windows) and an iPad, and want to use handoff?

What if someone wants to use Airdrop because Android has literaly NOTHING compareable to this?

What if someone prefers the Apps on iOS?

You can't possibly say Android is better, because it can use a Gameboy emulator lol.

This all comes down to personal preference. While yours leads towards Android, there are enough people who lean towards iOS. And all for a good Reason.

Just now, f1cringe said:

wait you can run os on android? I'm not super new to tech but I've never really thought of doing that I guess. And honestly I kinda just want ios just for facetime because most of the people I talk to aren't savvy enough just to get like google duo.

You can run other android OS packages, like lineage OS if you end up with a phone that stops being updated.

Of course the main reason to get an S8 over an iphone 7 plus I presume, is the emulators.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

This all comes down to personal preference. While yours leads towards Android, there are enough people who lean towards iOS. And all for a good Reason.

Headphone Jack. Also bluetooth or USB controllers exist?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Headphone Jack.

You can run other android OS packages, like lineage OS if you end up with a phone that stops being updated.

Of course the main reason to get an S8 over an iphone 7 plus I presume, is the emulators.

yeah, I don't really play mobile games, and I didn't grow up playing really any Nintendo games so playing them won't give me really any nostalgia. 

3 minutes ago, f1cringe said:

yeah, I don't really play mobile games, and I didn't grow up playing really any Nintendo games so playing them won't give me really any nostalgia. 

Don't need nostalgia to play great games, hell if you buy 2 blue tooth controllers you end up with what is basically a nintendo switch.

In any event if you don't need your phone for much you really don't need a $300 phone

Spoiler

Don't need nostalgia to play great games, hell if you buy 2 blue tooth controllers you end up with what is basically a nintendo switch.

like i said i don't play games on mobile. pretty much only play on pc at this point.

3 minutes ago, f1cringe said:

like i said i don't play games on mobile. pretty much only play on pc at this point.

Then you can just get a google pixel XL 1st gen for under $200, maybe $150 easily, and it should be perfectly fine

It's also updated to android 9.0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Pixel-XL-5-5in-32GB-4G-LTE-Unlocked-Smartphone-G-2PW2100-Quite-Black/163406618671?epid=229403262&hash=item260bcb202f:g:0WkAAOSwQ9lcAUNl:sc:USPSPriority!92020!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

128GB "Very Good" is $199 here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Pixel-XL-32GB-128GB-Unlocked-4G-LTE-Android-Smartphone/264025948876?hash=item3d792c42cc:m:milyTuv5Jb8hlTqhPiYalJQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!92020!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

Just need to make sure you get a phone compatible with your carrier of course.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Headphone Jack. Also bluetooth or USB controllers exist?

USB C --> Headphone jack adapter, problem solved. And this is coming from a guy who will Never use wireless headphones over wired. it's a very very minor "workaround", but small enough that a real headphone jack doen't become a killerfeature.

Bluetooth / USB Controllers exist, but tbh, where will you use them? You can't hold your phone when you use controlers --> You will either need a stand, or lean it somewhere. Both not really convenient on the go... Especially, since a controler is anything but portable.

If you only play at home, you can use emulation on your computer, where you usually have a controler anyway if you're a Gamer.

Like i said. Emulation might be the main (and only) reason for you to get a phone. For most others, it's completely irrelevant ^^ it's a valid argument, but useless for most.

@ Pixel 1: 2 year old phone. Price is great really, especially since it got Night Sight too.

But Android 9 will be the last Major Update there 

the pixel 2 isnt out of the budget is it worth the increased price over the pixel 1?

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

USB C --> Headphone jack adapter, problem solved. And this is coming from a guy who will Never use wireless headphones over wired. it's a very very minor "workaround", but small enough that a real headphone jack doen't become a killerfeature.

Bluetooth / USB Controllers exist, but tbh, where will you use them? You can't hold your phone when you use controlers --> You will either need a stand, or lean it somewhere. Both not really convenient on the go... Especially, since a controler is anything but portable.

If you only play at home, you can use emulation on your computer, where you usually have a controler anyway if you're a Gamer.

Like i said. Emulation might be the main (and only) reason for you to get a phone. For most others, it's completely irrelevant ^^ it's a valid argument, but useless for most.

@ Pixel 1: 2 year old phone. Price is great really, especially since it got Night Sight too.

But Android 9 will be the last Major Update there 

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the pixel 2 isnt out of the budget is it worth the increased price over the pixel 1?

31 minutes ago, f1cringe said:

Not if you're not going to play games and whatever on it

Spoiler