Help, installed grub to USB but now can't boot to Windows!

ItsBlck
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
1 hour ago, ItsBlck said:

It's all right now I added windows to grub somehow and now all I need to do is fix Ubuntu! Thanks for your help anyways

Without quoting or tagging I won't be notified of your reply ;) 

That's great. Did y ou try the commands I suggested? It could be simply not starting the GUI, but it may also be broken or missing the GUI completely. So things I'd try are

1. sudo apt-get update –fix-missing (update is not a bad idea anyway)
  2. startx
  3. sudo systemctl start lightdm
  4. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (kind of killing a fly with a bazooka, but hey)

So, I've been trying to install Ubuntu to my computer and I've got far. I've installed it to my partition in my hard drive and then It asked me to install grub.

Now it did not detect my other OS even though it was on the same drive just different partitions. So I did not install grub to my hard drive but to my USB. After that completed, it restarted my PC but now it won't let me boot into anything but the installation CD. Please help URGENTLY

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

But I am using grub (1) 

11 minutes ago, tikker said:

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

2 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

But I am using grub (1) 

What version of Ubuntu are you installing? Grub 2 is also referred to as Grub and has been around for quite a while already.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

What version of Ubuntu are you installing? Grub 2 is also referred to as Grub and has been around for quite a while already.

I am trying to install the latest version 18.04 LTS but, in a specific version for multiple computers and a reduced iso files size. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

6 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

I am trying to install the latest version 18.04 LTS but, in a specific version for multiple computers and a reduced iso files size. 

That'll definitely be Grub 2. What do you mean by "a specific version for multiple computers"?

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

That'll definitely be Grub 2. What do you mean by "a specific version for multiple computers"?

If you look on their website they have a version which is smaller and downloads the other files during the installation. It is not a GUI, more like a bios kind of look

Gonna get up againnnn.

Should I install grub again through the installation proccess onto my hard drive this time? It does say if I do my other partitions could be temporarily unavailable to boot to. 

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Gonna get up againnnn.

Also does grub allow booting into windows and ubuntu

Gonna get up againnnn.

The main reason I am sceptical about installing Grub to the master boot record is because apparently It does not detect my other OS @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

13 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

If you look on their website they have a version which is smaller and downloads the other files during the installation. It is not a GUI, more like a bios kind of look

Ah just a minimal installation, as I thought.

1 minute ago, ItsBlck said:

Also does grub allow booting into windows and ubuntu

It does. Writing this from a laptop dual booting Fedora and Windows 10 with Grub. This is the whole point of Grub.

12 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

Should I install grub again through the installation proccess onto my hard drive this time? It does say if I do my other partitions could be temporarily unavailable to boot to. 

If Ubuntu was installed fine, I'd just try repairing/(re)installing Grub. I've had to do it once or twice as well.

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

If Ubuntu was installed fine, I'd just try repairing/(re)installing Grub. I've had to do it once or twice as well.

It did say it installed, but I'm not sure if it actually works. So should I install it to the master boot record or no? @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

Please respond @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

14 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

It did say it installed, but I'm not sure if it actually works. So should I install it to the master boot record or no? @tikker

You install it to the main drive (not a partition) as explained here: https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

So instead of your USB drive you now choose the harddrive/SSD.

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

You install it to the main drive (not a partition) as explained here: https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

OK so Ihave installed grub to the main drive, now how can I configure it to boot to Windows? 

Gonna get up againnnn.

I just booted to Ubuntu but it is a command line! How do u get to the GUI?? Also through this command line can I get back to Windows? @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

3 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

OK so Ihave installed grub to the main drive, now how can I configure it to boot to Windows? 

Reboot? It should have detected installed OSes.

1 minute ago, ItsBlck said:

I just booted to Ubuntu but it is a command line! How do u get to the GUI?? Also through this command line can I get back to Windows? @tikker

What command line? A screenshot or photo would be useful.

Given that you've installed (probably) a minimal iso, it may not include graphical stuff. Did you install Desktop or Server? Unless you point me exactly to what you installed, I'm in the dark a bit.

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

What command line? A screenshot or photo would be useful.

Given that you've installed (probably) a minimal iso, it may not include graphical stuff. Did you install Desktop or Server? Unless you point me exactly to what you installed, I'm in the dark a bit.

It is desktop. 

When I reboot It instantly opens Ubuntu command line. Is there a way to boot into grub first so I can somehow open windows? 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Please help how to open windows @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

I have opened grub but windows listed as an OS. How do I configure windows as an OS?? @tikker

Gonna get up againnnn.

14 minutes ago, ItsBlck said:

It is desktop. 

When I reboot It instantly opens Ubuntu command line. Is there a way to boot into grub first so I can somehow open windows? 

You can try holding shift during boot. What kind of command line. Does it as for username/password? It could be either graphics drivers, or just that you did not install any GUI stuff because you used some sort of special distro. Do you have an exact link to what you installed? Because I can only find normal Desktop or server ISOs on the Ubuntu website.

Also try "startx" or a "sudo apt-get update –fix-missing" on the terminal.

Just now, ItsBlck said:

Please help how to open windows @tikker

Calm down...

It's all right now I added windows to grub somehow and now all I need to do is fix Ubuntu! Thanks for your help anyways

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 hour ago, ItsBlck said:

Without quoting or tagging I won't be notified of your reply ;) 

That's great. Did y ou try the commands I suggested? It could be simply not starting the GUI, but it may also be broken or missing the GUI completely. So things I'd try are

1. sudo apt-get update –fix-missing (update is not a bad idea anyway)
  2. startx
  3. sudo systemctl start lightdm
  4. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (kind of killing a fly with a bazooka, but hey)