Hardware question

Slayman

Hi there fellow folks!

I am not an expert on builds and matching things which end up on a motherboard, so I kindly ask for someone's help!

I mainly play Fortnite, my fps is locked to 144hz (related to my monitor) and everything is set on low with a stretched resolution.

I still get massive FPS drops when in combat for some reason, so here are my specs so you might be able to figure out with me what I need to replace to get better performance and stick around the 144 fps mark.

Processor: i5-4440 3.10GHz

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1050ti 4GB OC Edition

MOBO: Gigabyte B85-HD3

Power supply: 500 watts 

RAM: 8 gigs of DDR3 1600MHz

Combat is usually one of the harder parts of shooting games to render. Your GPU and CPU will also struggle to get higher fps numbers, due to the CPU's age and power, and the GPU's power.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

CPU's usage is always around 90%. Having Fortnite alone at 80-70% most of the times, I didn't really think it was a real thing because it ain't  crashing or freezing as often.

What good CPU would you recommend to match with my gpu?

Just now, Slayman said:

CPU's usage is always around 90%. Having Fortnite alone at 80-70% most of the times, I didn't really think it was a real thing because it ain't  crashing or freezing as often.

depends on your budget and if you want to go used or not. and I assume you want to be able to upgrade the gpu in a couple years?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

depends on your budget and if you want to go used or not. and I assume you want to be able to upgrade the gpu in a couple years?

I'm thinking of a perfect match, something that ain't quite ahead of my gpu and won't hold it back at the same time. My budget isn't really the case, I think I'll be able to grab what's right from the market. What would you recommend?

5 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Combat is usually one of the harder parts of shooting games to render. Your GPU and CPU will also struggle to get higher fps numbers, due to the CPU's age and power, and the GPU's power.

Does that implement my gpu is not that good? even at super low settings and resolutions?

2 minutes ago, Slayman said:

What resolution are you playing at? I assume it's at 1080p? Anyway. As everyone mentioned, your GPU is the issue. Although your CPU is fine with your GPU. It's the resolution you're playing at.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, PacketMan said:

That's because the 1050Ti and high fps aren't that good friends. It's a pretty decent GPU, but 144 fps is a lot, you won't notice any difference between 100 and 144 fps (maybe yes, but only a few people can notice nowadays) so don't worry for the high fps, just lock them a bit lower and that's all

I got the GTX 1070 and I use a 1440p 144hz monitor, I set the graphics at medium, 1440p and I get 144 fps, sometimes it drops and I get something like 110 fps maybe...? It's not a big deal, because I don't usually check the fps counter as the gameplay is smooth and that's all that matters.

Check this video, getting 144 fps AT BEST doesn't mean you have to get them every time, because the more players and the more action make your CPU and GPU work more

It's fine to play at lower fps (80, 90, 100... and that's not "low" fps), higher fps won't make a videogame or a player better (never heard of professional players who started playing at 30, 40 fps?)

Enjoy the game, don't worry about getting more fps unless it's unplayable ?

I totally agree, but it's kinda unplayable at some points, not gonna lie. So basically I should get another gpu and cpu as well? Even at super low settings/resolutions?

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

What resolution are you playing at? I assume it's at 1080p? Anyway. As everyone mentioned, your GPU is the issue. Although your CPU is fine with your GPU. It's the resolution you're playing at.

I play on a stretched 1080x1080 resolution with everything set on low.

1 minute ago, Slayman said:

Does that implement my gpu is not that good? even at super low settings and resolutions?

It's a good low-med range card. I'd say it's good at 720p high 1080p medium with some settings set to high

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Slayman said:

I play on a stretched 1080x1080 resolution with everything set on low.

Okay. Try setting your setting at 1080p 60fps and see what the results are.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Okay. Try setting your setting at 1080p 60fps and see what the results are.

I am afraid that's something I wouldn't want to go about. My monitor's refresh rate is 144hz so I want to reach that full potential.

the gpu isn't the problem here. my 745 with a 4460s could run it on low-med-high with around 50 fps, so low should be better. the gpu isn't really the problem here. and I won't give you "the perfect match", I'll give you something that's worth your money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $159.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg Business
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $104.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $339.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 05:55 EST-0500  

1 minute ago, Slayman said:

I am afraid that's something I wouldn't want to go about. My monitor's refresh rate is 144hz so I want to reach that full potential.

You can't unless you upgrade your CPU and GPU.

2 minutes ago, Slayman said:

Things are a bit clearer now, kind people, thank you for your precious time! 

my time isn't that precious. You're welcome

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I think

Knowledge is power, but absolute decisions are whats necessary in todays world.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Knowledge is power, but absolute decisions are whats necessary in todays world.

yep, but with a 90% usage I'm kinda sure now. then I was only assuming the bottleneck

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

90% usage I'm kinda sure now.

90% and kinda sure are not reassuring.

They are both paradoxes, contradicting each other.

either you grab an I5 4690K, I7 4790, I7 4790K or you go for a full platform upgrade to something like an R5 2600

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016