Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with mobo/ ram on build

Hey LTT community, I've been a long time subscriber back in the NCIX days, and I was hoping to get some help by people much more knowledgeable than me.  I recently build a new computer myself ( first one ever), and everything works great, or so I thought. 

The computer boots fine, and I've already installed windows and games. I've been using it for a few weeks now. However, I recently discovered that my ram speed is 2133 ( which I know is the default). So I go into my bios and try to enable xmp. When I save and exit the computer won't post at all. I had to unplug and remove the battery to reset bios in order for the computer to boot again. 

I haven't, nor do I plan to overclock anything else in my pc, and I was wondering if I should be trying to get my ram speed up. Is it even worth it? Also I've updated some drivers off the mobo website, but have not flashed the bios yet. The manufacturer says if my bios is working it's not recommended that you flash bios? 

Anyways, any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! My specs are as follows 

 

Aorus b450 pro wifi 

Ryzen 2700x

16GB Rip jaws 4, cl15, 3000 mhz

WD black nvme m.2 500 gb (boot drive) 

Gtx 1070 ti

Evga supernova 750 g3 80 plus gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using a different profile and see if that one works. If not then, I'd try reflashing the BIOS.

Not sure if it's still a thing but, I've heard that Ryzen was a bit wonky with 3000MHz RAM so, maybe that's your issue.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Try using a different profile and see if that one works. If not then, I'd try reflashing the BIOS.

Not sure if it's still a thing but, I've heard that Ryzen was a bit wonky with 3000MHz RAM so, maybe that's your issue.

There's only one profile on my bios for xmp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

make sure your motherboard is on the latest UEFI/BIOS before condemning anything.

F3D: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-bios

should i take this warning into consideration?

Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quality of life note if you ever have to clear the CMOS again.  There is a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS without having to remove the battery.  Look in your motherboard manual, it's on the top of page 21 of the PDF I downloaded from the Gigabyte website.  You still have to make sure everything is powered off and unplugged before you do it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

so i should not touch the PC while bios is updating. im a bit worried ill ruin my computer =\ ive googled how to do it, but somehow i always end up screwing things up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, just start the update and let the update process complete, it load wait... it'll complete enter to agree, then itll reboot (possibly a couple of times) and then you can PC on..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

yeah, just start the update and let the update process complete, it load wait... it'll complete enter to agree, then itll reboot (possibly a couple of times) and then you can PC on..

thanks

 

ive downloaded the drivers onto a usb. i should go into bios and flash to boot off that usb. and just go through the steps right? what if my pc is on, but nothing is happening. should i just continue to keep the computer on and wait? is there any point at which i can power down the pc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've done it and changed xmp ahain and it won't boot. Just a black screen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

turn power off. we need to clear CMOS (remove the cr2032 battery). leave out for a minute. reinstall battery, reboot.

it seems your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard. seems the 2800 series is, but not the 3000, prolly due to the flash dies used. intel only platform?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, airdeano said:

turn power off. we need to clear CMOS (remove the cr2032 battery). leave out for a minute. reinstall battery, reboot.

it seems your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard. seems the 2800 series is, but not the 3000, prolly due to the flash dies used. intel only platform?

I think he may be right about Intel specific RAM.  I searched for Ripjaws 4 C15 3000MHz on Newegg and I found a 2x8GB kit 

 

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GRBB

 

Check the Memory Support List (for Pinnacle Ridge) on the Gigabyte website to be sure what you're getting is supported.  It can be a little hard to read, but make sure you match the model number (example F4-3000C15D-16GRBB)

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#support-doc

Edited by Swarlos
Pinnacle Ridge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help guys. Don't know if I can return my ram but I guess I'll have to buy more.

 

Anyone have suggestions for a good ram for my setup? Also is it worth it to get 32 gb over 16? I'm only doing some gaming and general browsing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bluphyre said:

Thanks for the help guys. Don't know if I can return my ram but I guess I'll have to buy more.

 

Anyone have suggestions for a good ram for my setup? Also is it worth it to get 32 gb over 16? I'm only doing some gaming and general browsing 

ryzen doesn't like odd numbers, so you might have to change cl15 to 16 at the very least, some mobos do it automatically, but if it doesn't that can cause the pc to not boot, also i'd go slowly up from 2133 cl16 and see what boots and what doesn't.

 

To add, it is very common for memory to not boot with xmp/docp without adjustments on ryzen platforms, doesn't mean your ram is defective, it's more than likely that your motherboard is picky with ram/speed/timings.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on where you bought the RAM and what the return policies are, but it's probably worth looking into returning it.

 

I'm no expert on manually setting RAM speed and timings, but you may be able to use that RAM at 3000 MHz or something close just not with the XMP profile.

 

I don't think there's any reason to get more than 16 GB of RAM for gaming and general browsing.  You probably won't end up using much more than half of it.  As for what you should get if you do end up replacing it, different people have different preferences by company and style.  I tend to stick with G. Skill, but you wouldn't go wrong with Corsair or a number of other brands.  Just make sure you can check it against the support page qualified vendor list.

 

I don't know what country you're in, but based on you choosing non-RGB RAM before I'll assume you're not into that.  Just going over the QVL, I would recommend

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

 

Search for CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 on whatever website you buy from.  I'm seeing 130 USD on Newegg and Amazon.  Looks like you can get it with black, white, red, or blue heatspreaders for various prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xg32 said:

ryzen doesn't like odd numbers, so you might have to change cl15 to 16 at the very least, some mobos do it automatically, but if it doesn't that can cause the pc to not boot, also i'd go slowly up from 2133 cl16 and see what boots and what doesn't.

 

To add, it is very common for memory to not boot with xmp/docp without adjustments on ryzen platforms, doesn't mean your ram is defective, it's more than likely that your motherboard is picky with ram/speed/timings.

Do you think if I get a cl15 ram it will make a big difference? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bluphyre said:

Do you think if I get a cl15 ram it will make a big difference? 

according to you it's already cl15, just change it to 16 and see if it boots and 2666 for example, if it does, try 2933

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to load an XMP Profile into BIOS then adjust individual values for it before applying the settings?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

hey y'all i just ended up switching my ram. it seems like it wasnt compatible. Thank you to @Swarlosfor the list. i got one of those on the list. now running @ 3200 . used to get around 170 fps on overwatch lets say, and now im getting over 200+ easy.

 

thank you all for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2018 at 12:48 PM, Bluphyre said:

Hey LTT community, I've been a long time subscriber back in the NCIX days, and I was hoping to get some help by people much more knowledgeable than me.  I recently build a new computer myself ( first one ever), and everything works great, or so I thought. 

The computer boots fine, and I've already installed windows and games. I've been using it for a few weeks now. However, I recently discovered that my ram speed is 2133 ( which I know is the default). So I go into my bios and try to enable xmp. When I save and exit the computer won't post at all. I had to unplug and remove the battery to reset bios in order for the computer to boot again. 

I haven't, nor do I plan to overclock anything else in my pc, and I was wondering if I should be trying to get my ram speed up. Is it even worth it? Also I've updated some drivers off the mobo website, but have not flashed the bios yet. The manufacturer says if my bios is working it's not recommended that you flash bios? 

Anyways, any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! My specs are as follows 

 

Aorus b450 pro wifi 

Ryzen 2700x

16GB Rip jaws 4, cl15, 3000 mhz

WD black nvme m.2 500 gb (boot drive) 

Gtx 1070 ti

Evga supernova 750 g3 80 plus gold

There is no difference between 2133Mhz or 2600Mhz or 3200Mhz in the real world.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

There is no difference between 2133Mhz or 2600Mhz or 3200Mhz in the real world.

There is with Ryzen. Mainly between 2133 and 2666. 3200 but, between 2666 and 3200 there little to none (about 5-10FPS) depending on games.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

There is with Ryzen. Mainly between 2133 and 2666. 3200 but, between 2666 and 3200 there little to none (about 5-10FPS) depending on games.

im literally getting an extra 40ish fps going from 2133 to 3200

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×