SSD without trim?

Antoine Kamarovszki

What happens / what are the effects if I install an OS on an SSD that does not support TRIM? More specifically Vista SP2. Can it screw up my SSD in the long run?

9 minutes ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

What happens / what are the effects if I install an OS on an SSD that does not support TRIM? More specifically Vista SP2. Can it screw up my SSD in the long run?

It does shorten the drive's lifespan to an extend and slows writes on it down. Depending on the drive, the slowing can be quite drastic, too.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

It can, but it depends on what you're doing with the SSD. If you're doing a lot of writing to it, it will degrade the SSD faster. 

As a measure of some experience, I had a work laptop with Windows XP running on an SSD. I had the thing for about three years and I think towards the tail end of that it was starting to show signs of appreciably significant performance degradation.

46 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It does shorten the drive's lifespan to an extend and slows writes on it down. Depending on the drive, the slowing can be quite drastic, too.

So you guys would not recommend putting vista on it? It's an Intel 545S 128GB SSD.