Some of my folders containing music files abruptly shuts down the entire explorer upon opening them!

Hello, I recently posted a similar thread but couldn't get enough valuable response so I'm posting again with more specifics. (People suggesting repairing registry errors, cleaning shit, running cmd commands to fix something and similar things PLEASE STAY AWAY!)

So as I clearly put the above note I hope you acknowledge that I've done almost every possible trick (no errors on my storage drive too) to avoid this error but none helped me and it's terribly disgusting to watch my explorer die everytime I open some specific music folders containing OPUS files. I am also linking a self-explanatory screen recording (below) rather than writing on and on to explain you the symptoms. Please please please, it's my kind-hearted request in front of you experts to please solve my problem. I'm running a Windows 10 RS5 with all the updates till date.

Waiting...

12 minutes ago, D33P said:

People suggesting repairing registry errors, cleaning shit, running cmd commands to fix something and similar things PLEASE STAY AWAY!

Wow ok so don't solve the problem

The only thing I can think of without that is sometimes when rendering thumbnails explorer crashes. This can be prevented temporarily by turning thumbnails off (I think it tries to read them regardless of the view option) 

Select Organize

Go to Folder and Search Option

Select View tab

Under Files and Folders- never show thumbnails

That typically happnes with pics or video files, so that may not be it. Shell extensions sometimes cause this as well. It can also be trying to play it, like codecs, causing issues. I've seen that with video files as well. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The only thing I can think of without that is sometimes when rendering thumbnails explorer crashes. This can be prevented temporarily by turning thumbnails off (I think it tries to read them regardless of the view option) 

Select Organize

Select View tab

That typically happnes with pics or video files, so that may not be it. 

Trying that now... 

P.S. I always convert flac/wav files to opus and then store them. Most of them become untagged after conversion. I use TAudioConverter 64 bit. Also, when I reduce the folder columns to only "Name", "Date Modified", and "Type" the crash happens less often but now I can't even open it properly to delete the extra columns. May be having more columns causes the issue to be more persistent idk.

12 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Select Organize

Select View tab

That typically happnes with pics or video files, so that may not be it. 

I checked "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Didn't solve the problem. No other option for thumbnail. Try  suggesting something else please. ?

15 minutes ago, D33P said:

I checked "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Didn't solve the problem. No other option for thumbnail. Try  suggesting something else please. ?

It seems its still caused by metadata then. 

This is all I can find right now 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bug-windows-10-explorer-crashes-doing-metadata/ce094180-b791-42ca-9b09-406fbe355331

No solution there. But it may be down using something else, cmd or whatever, to navigate, and converting them to something else that doesn't cause the problem or deleting them if you still have the unconverted ones. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Windows needs "extensions" to read non-supported files information, like your OPUS files.

My guess, is that the "extensions" is what crashes File explorer.

Who puts that "extension"? Usually, the software that has support for it.

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It seems its still caused by metadata then. 

This is all I can find right now 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bug-windows-10-explorer-crashes-doing-metadata/ce094180-b791-42ca-9b09-406fbe355331

No solution there. But it may be down using something else, cmd or whatever, to navigate, and converting them to something else that doesn't cause the problem or deleting them if you still have the unconverted ones. 

No, that fault is limited to WAV files only. I'll try reconverting them via some other audio converter and return the response.

1 minute ago, D33P said:

No, that fault is limited to WAV files only. I'll try reconverting them via some other audio converter and return the response.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows needs "extensions" to read non-supported files information, like your OPUS files.

Yah I thought it was the OPUS files too. Well if it's wav, I've actually heard of that, but it's still either the metadata, a codex, or a shell extension like Ive mentioned before and goodbytes is mentioning here. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you mean OPUS is a non-supported file type, you might be living under a rock. Almost every OS supports OPUS files as this is the most efficient and my favourite music file extension. I strongly disagree that Windows can't recognize it as a supported file type.

https://auphonic.com/blog/2012/09/26/opus-revolutionary-open-audio-codec-podcasts-and-internet-audio/

1 minute ago, D33P said:

I don't know... your video seems to indicate your OPUS files... here is how to confirm.. make a folder with just WAV files, and the other OPUS files, see which one crashes the File Explorer (you need to use Command Prompt to copy files in those test folders, as File Explorer crashes on you when it sees these files)

Command prompt commands (in the case you need a reference or for other readers that might fall on this post):

cd <path of folder where you want to be>
copy <source file name with extention> <destination file name with extention>

Ignore the "<>" signs

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yah I thought it was the OPUS files too. Well if it's wav, I've actually heard of that, but it's still either the metadata, a codex, or a shell extension like Ive mentioned before and goodbytes is mentioning here. 

So shell extensions and registry can't be wrong. I've thoroughly performed all popular system and DISM scans. No effect.

1 minute ago, D33P said:

If you mean OPUS is a non-supported file type, you might be living under a rock. Almost every OS supports OPUS files as this is the most efficient and my favourite music file extension. I strongly disagree that Windows can't recognize it as a supported file type.

last resort if we cant find a shell extension or some codec you have installed doing this, sometimes  it's just one file that is corrupt and explorer tries to read it. 

In this case, you can use cmd or some third part file explorer and find it- 

Copy chunks to a new folder, and test after each chunk. Once you find it crashes, undo the last copy and just yah know narrow it down- smaller chunks until you find the offending file. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, D33P said:

https://auphonic.com/blog/2012/09/26/opus-revolutionary-open-audio-codec-podcasts-and-internet-audio/

Sorry, Windows has no idea what those are:

Capture.PNG.4ba878833695b0e85c6be378fb28096a.PNG

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know... your video seems to indicate your OPUS files... here is how to confirm.. make a folder with just WAV files, and the other OPUS files, see which one crashes the File Explorer (you need to use Command Prompt to copy files in those test folders, as File Explorer crashes on you when it sees these files)

Command prompt commands (in the case you need a reference or for other readers that might fall on this post):

cd <path of folder where you want to be>
copy <source file name with extention> <destination file name with extention>

Ignore the "<>" signs

File transfer operations seem to be interrupting 6/10 times into that "2018 Singles" folder but the other 4 times outta 10, copy/paste/move work just fine.

1 minute ago, D33P said:

So shell extensions and registry can't be wrong. I've thoroughly performed all popular system and DISM scans. No effect.

a shell extension isn't gonna cause a problem in a scan 

Ok so you know winrar or 7zip- they put "extract file" or whatever you chose in your right click context menu? that's a shell extension. It's not so much it's bad, it could be just fucking up when it reads a something.
There's a great program to view them here 

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Do be warned- that will show you ones you need that are included with windows to. You can just disable instead of remove. 

Im not sure it's a shell extension, but if it is this is the program to fix it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, Windows has no idea what those are:

Capture.PNG.4ba878833695b0e85c6be378fb28096a.PNG

Well, you probably haven't K-lite codec pack installed then. Oh and thanks, you reminded me to update my Mega codec pack. I'll see if updating it resolves the issue. I'm also uninstalling this audio converter and install an alternative.

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

last resort if we cant find a shell extension or some codec you have installed doing this, sometimes  it's just one file that is corrupt and explorer tries to read it. 

In this case, you can use cmd or some third part file explorer and find it- 

Copy chunks to a new folder, and test after each chunk. Once you find it crashes, undo the last copy and just yah know narrow it down- smaller chunks until you find the offending file. 

Tried that in the following way: Copied the entire folder to desktop without opening it, then deleted it from the original location and re-moved from desktop back to original path. No specific file offended the operation. Still the issue persists.

7 minutes ago, D33P said:

Well, you probably haven't K-lite codec pack installed then. Oh and thanks, you reminded me to update my Mega codec pack. I'll see if updating it resolves the issue. I'm also uninstalling this audio converter and install an alternative.

I just installed the latest K-lite version (I don't think I had it on this pc) and I got these 3 shell extensions with it 

image.png.c9017d9cf08145fa8c82e90d9c840cc9.png

This is just an example, I'm not saying klite is the problem. But it did crash firefox repeatedly for a minute somehow when it was playing youtube

Anyway codecs usually come with shell extensions. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, D33P said:

Tried that in the following way: Copied the entire folder to desktop without opening it, then deleted it from the original location and re-moved from desktop back to original path. No specific file offended the operation. Still the issue persists.

im not talking about breaking the operation, im saying copy small groups of files and checking if the issue persists in the new folder until you find any offending files. Sometimes its just one 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

a shell extension isn't gonna cause a problem in a scan 

Ok so you know winrar or 7zip- they put "extract file" or whatever you chose in your right click context menu? that's a shell extension. It's not so much it's bad, it could be just fucking up when it reads a something.
There's a great program to view them here 

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Do be warned- that will show you ones you need that are included with windows to. You can just disable instead of remove. 

Im not sure it's a shell extension, but if it is this is the program to fix it. 

I once tried to disable and re-enable all the shell exts. by some software i don't remember.

1 minute ago, D33P said:

I once tried to disable and re-enable all the shell exts. by some software i don't remember.

all is probably not a good idea lol you need some of those lol. Probably a file then, try to find the single offending file like I mentioned above. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

im not talking about breaking the operation, im saying copy small groups of files and checking if the issue persists in the new folder until you find any offending files. Sometimes its just one 

and if this doesn't help, last resort could be putting these files in an archive and sending them so I can see if I can get my explorer to crash.  

muh specs 

All parts black

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

and if this doesn't help, last resort could be putting these files in an archive and sending them so I can see if I can get my explorer to crash.  

Okay. appreciated your reception, mate. ?

44 minutes ago, D33P said:

Well there you go not supported. Hence my point.

And that garbage that overrides system files. Ok, well, sorry can't help you.