Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AV software decoder?

BubbaSkywalker

To all the more experienced people out there, 

would it be possible to take an AV to 3.5mm cable, pop it into your mic port on your laptop, and do some fancy programming to decode and display it on your laptop?
I understand this is a bit of a weird question, and I'm not exactly a programming ninja.
I'm just wondering because I have my Raspberry pi that I use for retro gaming, and it's too cumbersome to carry around a whole other screen when I have my laptop with me anyways.

No, because of a fundamental issue: NTSC composite signals run in the megahertz range. Audio ADCs are only good in the kilohertz range.

EDIT: If you don't want to carry around another screen to display the AV data, just use a USB capture device like https://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Composite-Capture-Adapter-Support/dp/B00535BRBI

More importantly, is your laptop not fast enough to run the emulators itself?

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

try to find some software that can run on pi to stream the display to a broadcast server

or maybe install realvnc or some vnc solution on your pi (tightvnc, whatever is compiled for pi), and then use a vnc viewer to connect to your pi and the vnc server will send the image to your laptop.  maybe this would help : https://maker.pro/raspberry-pi/tutorial/how-to-connect-a-raspberry-pi-to-a-laptop-display