Bad PC FPS on some games but not others

canadaboy25

Hey guys, I'm reaching out in hopes someone can help me figure out the cause of my bad PC framerates.

My system is an ASUS M5A99FX pro r2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX8350 processor.  I have 16gb of 1333MHz RAM (2x8) and a GTX1060 6gb card that originally came from an alienware system.  Operating system is Windows 10 Pro.

The game in question is a modded Minecraft pack from the FTB launcher.  I am playing with a few friends on a local server that I host on a different pc.  The problem is my framerate is around the mid to high 30s which is underwhelming to say the least.  My CPU and graphics card are both at about 20% load while playing which is pretty low to be having such bad FPS IMO.  If I stand still in the game for a long time, the FPS will creep up to about 70 but as soon as I start moving around again the FPS drops to the high 30s.

I also have a Lenovo Legion y530 which has a gtx1050ti in it.  When I log onto the same server on it, I get 200+ FPS.  So there is definitely something going on when my desktop with better hardware is preforming so bad.

The strange thing is that I also have Destiny 2 installed on my desktop and I never get framerates lower than 60 FPS while playing it.  I know it isn't the heaviest game out there but I would imagine it takes more to run it that it does to play Minecraft on a server.

Any suggestions on what to look for or change are appreciated.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Processor is old and bad

Could you clarify as to how an 8 core processor running at 4.5GHz "is old and bad"?  It's not brand new but I hardly think its the limiting factor if it's at 20% utilization and can run other games just fine.

I may be wrong but could you explain?

May I help?

The AMD FX series processors a 2 generations old now, that's what @Slottr is talking about, the core clock was and is still amazing on that particular processor but since it is now a few generations old, it is starting to fall behind, then again, maybe it could be fixed simply by uninstalling minecraft and java, then reinstalling them??

~~~ MY RECENTLY UPDATED RIG ~~~

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A

GPU: ASUS RX580 Dual 8 GB

RAM: 4 x 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan 2666Mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB

PSU: Silverstone 80+ Platinum 750W Fully Modular

Case: Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass

Storage: Samsung 840 500GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: SanDisk 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: LiteON 240 GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD

PC Part Picker list:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bH3V6

because the technology inside it is ancient, its probably bottlenecking your 1060 . I don't think Ive seen "impressive" performance from one to be brutally honest what Slottr said is more than likely your issue

the no load is quite odd obviously, which sort of points else where....

9 minutes ago, canadaboy25 said:

Could you clarify as to how an 8 core processor running at 4.5GHz "is old and bad"?  It's not brand new but I hardly think its the limiting factor if it's at 20% utilization and can run other games just fine.

I may be wrong but could you explain?

I'm not certain so don't quote me but iirc a lot of Java games (like Minecraft and Runescape) use like 1 core when they run. So a processor like the FX-8350 will struggle playing Minecraft as it isn't putting the other cores to use by nature (which explains low CPU usage) and does not utilize your GPU at all (that's just how the game runs). Your laptop likely runs better because it has better single core performance, leading to better performance in Minecraft.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

on the topic of fps and pcs can anyone tell me why my asrock ab350 k4 / 2600x / gtx 1070 strix / 16 gig dd4 2400  cant run counter strike source  at any kind of stable fps I get as low as 30 ?

cs go on the other hand runs mint solid 150 on high, as does rise of the tomb raider......

it really is baffling my mind?

28 minutes ago, zlolslavez said:

I'm not certain so don't quote me but iirc a lot of Java games (like Minecraft and Runescape) use like 1 core when they run. So a processor like the FX-8350 will struggle playing Minecraft as it isn't putting the other cores to use by nature (which explains low CPU usage) and does not utilize your GPU at all (that's just how the game runs). Your laptop likely runs better because it has better single core performance, leading to better performance in Minecraft.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head...  I set task manager to show the individual core usage and sure enough core 2 was the only one being used.  So basically it comes down to a crappy program instead of system performance.  That sucks.

Task.jpg.b9478513e57997891fd3be64bd1034f4.jpg